Why become a member? ×

How to install LED lighting to cabs

Jamie Snell

What kind of power supply are you considering?

LEDs can be bought in stripes which you can tape to the grille. If you think the tape is too weak (especially in the long run), some extra adhesive is in order. They consume quite little, so a rechargeable battery or some small power supply could do the powering.

You want colours? Consider remote controlled RGB stripes.

Mouser etc.

7 minutes ago, itu said:

What kind of power supply are you considering?

LEDs can be bought in stripes which you can tape to the grille. If you think the tape is too weak (especially in the long run), some extra adhesive is in order. They consume quite little, so a rechargeable battery or some small power supply could do the powering.

You want colours? Consider remote controlled RGB stripes.

Mouser etc.

Hi, don’t mind whether battery or mains powered, mains would probably be better in the long run. 

and yes colours would be good - Trace Elliott green!

any links to suitable products would be good. I can find LED strip lights on eBay, but I’m unsure how to power them as the power pack won’t fit through the grill.

1 hour ago, bertbass said:

Available as 5v USB powered.  might be easier to power using just a phone charger or powerbank.

Thanks.I had seen those online, but I’m struggling to work out how I would plug it in/turn it on or off as the cable with USB head won’t fit through the grille.

Try here. Available in several colours. I bought blue, red and green to use as Christmas decorations on a BlueSpruce in the back yard. Runs off a 12V DC plug transformer.

Edit: Also available in different lengths to suit your application.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333902707843?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=542963411279&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by BassmanPaul

Can't remember the details  but I used an LED strip from Ebay (IIRC the devices were 5050) that included a power supply and remote control. I used small cable ties to hold it in place behind the grill. See 

On 30/06/2021 at 21:02, BassmanPaul said:

Try here. Available in several colours. I bought blue, red and green to use as Christmas decorations on a BlueSpruce in the back yard. Runs off a 12V AC plug transformer.

Edit: Also available in different lengths to suit your application.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333902707843?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=542963411279&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Those 12V strips are nice and bright, ands that design is waterproof, but be aware that they run pretty hot. Attaching that strip to the inside of a metal grille with (maybe?) glue or something could be a fail waiting to happen.