Why become a member? ×

Were you in similar situation, how would you be feeling?

Munurmunuh

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

find something else... lightweight P bass, wonder if Jon shuker will do one of his lightweight Burnell basses in shell pink? 

Once this gets officially marked as lost, I won't try barking up a similar tree - I figured that kind of money was pseudo-worth-it if I got exactly what I wanted, and the SB-1 would have been that.

If fate decides I'm not getting exactly what I want, rather than get second best, I'll just aim lower and in a different direction and perhaps push my boundaries a bit eg fit a dimarzio P to a used MIJ Precision, risk trying a bigger neck.

When the SB-1 was returned to the factory in December and I knew I had a fair bit more waiting to do, at least, I bought a BB424 which I've been extremely happy with. Perhaps instead of having one perfect bass plus a backup I'll have two or three middling basses that make me equally happy in different ways. One can tire out my left hand, one can tire out my shoulders, one can sit there looking pretty ... or handsomely knackered ....

The thing about dreaming up plans is that you never know if they're actually right for you until the opportunity comes to put them into action. Since that moment isn't imminent, I might as well equip myself with a whole bunch of them :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If fate decides I'm not getting exactly what I think I want, and think is perfect (although I’ve not tried it, and even if the specs are right it’s a wee bit of a crap shoot what it would have sounded like), rather than get second best, I'll just aim lower and in a different direction 

Fixed it for you

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Fixed it for you

Well, yeah, an excellent point.

When I first ordered it, the idea was that it would exploit my inexperience and I would mold my expectations to the reality of the bass. (A bit like how my idea of the perfect piano is the highly idiosyncratic one I grew up playing) (very badly) Now I've more of a clue, and am in danger of being less pliant.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Well, yeah, an excellent point.

When I first ordered it, the idea was that it would exploit my inexperience and I would mold my expectations to the reality of the bass. (A bit like how my idea of the perfect piano is the highly idiosyncratic one I grew up playing) (very badly) Now I've more of a clue, and am in danger of being less pliant.

I have had many lovely basses. Normally driven by my desire to have x, y or z or a specific version of a specific model ... I would be able to tell you all the specs, all the history, have read every thread on it on talkbass, basschat and a google translated bassic.de and only bass...

ive ended up by two basses, both bought by accident without much thought. 
moral of the tale, the G&L would have been nice, but not as nice as it possibly is in your mind, and not much of a step up from the Yamaha BB you ended up with as you imagine...

• Like 1

Man, I was thinking of getting a custom SB-1 too. I have been following this odyssey and I would be peed off big time by now. What the... Hope you will get your bass and love it or at least be told soon what has happened to it to have some closure. Thinking of it, maybe call my lawyer buddy Jim to see if he can help you!

• Like 1