Why become a member? ×

X32- fx to monitors

scalpy

Hi all, some help with the behringer x32 producer desk please! I’m no sound engineer so bear with me here. 

Our singer has splashed out on one of these desks for our 8 piece band as he’s desperate to use in-ears. However he’s left it to me to learn how to do it. I’ve managed to set up linked sends for stereo in ear mixes, and can get FX to the front of house. I can do dry monitor mixes on the various sends but…..

When I send reverb to the monitors it gets applied to all the instruments in that mix. I’d like to be able to send reverb on the vocals only without adding it to the drums and keys for example. Any YouTube videos I’ve watched on the matter either seem to be wrong (checking the comments) or like trying to fly the starship enterprise. 

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you

Harry

I can't recall off of the top of my head - it's been a while since I fired my X32 rack up!!!  I can dig it out out early next week and go through the settings for you early next week if that helps?

Edited by DaytonaRik

From memory it's not overly difficult but is a two-stage operation - add the FX required into the slot, then send the channels you want to that FX, after that, determine where the outputs of that FX go to - Aux, FOH etc - some band members might not want the FX in their feed, others might.

To understand the signal flow, it can help to imagine it like an old fashioned analogue desk where the reverb is another unit off in an outboard rack. 

You have a send knob on each channel that goes to the reverb unit You send vocals, maybe snare and toms, and the acoustic guitar. Those things are all mixed together and sent to the reverb as one chunk of sound. Reverb is applied to the whole thing, and comes back to your desk on a single channel as "reverb tails of everything". 

What might be happening here (hard to say for sure without being in front of your desk!) is that you're sending whatever comes out of your reverb unit to the IEM mixes, but you've sent vocals and various instruments in to that one reverb for your FOH mix, so you're getting the reverb tails of everything coming in to the IEM mix. 

The best way to deal with this would be to dedicate at least one effects unit to be a vocal reverb solely for the IEMs. Send nothing but vocals to this one, and send the FX return channel where it appears in to your IEM mix (but turn it off in FOH).  This way, you can tailor that reverb to suit the in ear mixes, and it won't matter what you're doing with your main FOH verbs. 

The extra sophisticated way would be having one dedicated to each vocalist, but if you're new to operating a digital desk, I'd keep things as simple as you can! 

If you're struggling to put this together, drop me a line. You could drop your show file on to USB and then email it to me, and I could make the necessary change on the offline editor and send it back. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there… also really struggling with this issue and it’s been such a donkey pain. Never have mixed reverb for this band I’ve worked with and a fresh to the ears artist is dead set on verb in vocals but it covers the whole mix in reverb. I was pulling my hair out in silence. I’m also on a x32 app on iPad and a x32 rack. Also no one else wants reverb and the vibe doesn’t call for it and when I inserted a verb just on her vocal everyone else’s immediately was turned off. She’s been okay with me tastefully dialing it back but it makes everything sound washed out in her mix at the reverb sound she wants… someone please help lol first day of tour tomorrow I have sometime. Really don’t want any reverb anywhere but one vocal in one IEM mix and NO where else. Thanks so much. I don’t have a laptop and no console, luckily I mix at foh with a different console have all the flexibility. The menu diving is killing me panning individual inputs for separate mixes seemed way harder to figure out but I managed to do it menu diving between the rack and iPad. Thanks!!!