Why become a member? ×

NS EUB played sat down, advice please

orm-irian

Hi, after a decade of craving, I'm finally getting an NS WAV5 eub.

Things have changed in the last couple of years - mainly I'm now a wheelchair user, which means I'll be playing sat down with the bass between my knees.

it doesn't look like any of the NS spike/end pin accessories will work for that, so I was wondering whether anyone knows of anyone else who plays sat down, and what mods they've used to make this work? 

I'm imagining I'll have to end up making some kind of padded thing the base of the bass can sit in, with a spike that slots into my wheelchair's footplate.

Also, any recommendations for good YouTube channels for someone learning jazz pizz technique? Due to my mutant hand, I can't bow anyway, so it's all going to be pizz. One less thing to learn!

Now my only big decision is: which colour?

Edited by orm-irian

There's this official tripod https://thinkns.com/accessory/nxt-tripod-stands/

Or this conversion kit that will allow you to use the more adaptable CR tripod https://thinkns.com/accessory/the-end-pin-stand-conversion-kit/

I used to play a CR model sitting, because of a broken back, with the CR tripod and it was working fine.

I'm going to attempt to fashion a tripod stand for my recently acquired cheapo EUB using a modified tattooists armrest, I'm not sure if that's something you could look in to doing if the official NS stand isn't any use.

8 hours ago, orm-irian said:

Someone elsewhere suggested a sling, but I'm not sure whether my mutant shoulders can take the weight. I'd be best off with a spike.

A spike is very unstable rotationally until you add a wing to brace yourself into. That's why the tripod is the usual goto stand.

Your original plan to spike it between your feet  and pad it against the chair would work but it would put the instrument quite vertical and too far forward unless you can sit up and balance on your haunches?