Why become a member? ×

NIBD (new Ibanez bass day)

FinnDave

Collected an Ibanez SR 1200 today that I bought on eBay. Looks exactly like a slimmed down version of my old SR1206 six string bass, and is also much lighter. Played it all afternoon and will take to rehearsal tomorrow.

No pictures yet, too dark indoors and too wet outdoors! They will follow as soon as I am able to take some.

I love my SR 1205, my 1st 5 string. Lovely woods, so tactile. I don't take her out gigging much since I got a Lakland but took her to rehearsal this week and she was a joy to play and sounded great through the studio's bass amp and 15" cab.

The Lakland fits in with the soul and funk we play and I get on better with the string spacing but the Ibby just looks and feels a bit...you know, sexier. 

Think I might have a lie down.

Enjoy it Dave.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, there is something very tactile about the wood and the curves on these Ibbys. I played it until I couldn't think straight this afternoon, looking forward to playing with people tomorrow. I had been planning to replace the pre-amp with one of John East's (I have one in an active Jazz) but will hold fire until I've played a few gigs with it, as it seems pretty good with the Ibanez pre fitted. I do like John's sweepable mids though!

• Like 1

Still no chance to get a picture of the new bass, but I did play it at rehearsal today. Going through my Trace Elliot Elf and Barefaced Super Compact at low volume (just myself and two guitarists today) it sounded great - and the pre-amp is more versatile than I'd expected. Got a lovely growl to it when I play a bit harder, and a great tone. Much admired by the other two band members today.

• Like 1

The older Premiums were beautiful. Some great choices of woods. Really suit the gold hardware and I’m not usually a fan.

And those Nordies ❤️❤️❤️ They sound even better than they look!

Had a 1205 that went when I got a ‘Ray…. Am now considering flipping the ‘Ray for another SR, there’s some tasty ones for sale on here atm…. 

E01BA259-3599-4323-AA6E-6A2C0295BA49.jpeg

• Like 3