Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN 1980 ish Washburn Raven Guitar
£95
Skipton

Now Withdrawn

This is, I believe, a 1979-1981 ish Washburn Raven.

There's a good page about them here: http://www.g3h.be/wings/raven.htm - the Raven was the entry level guitar in the Washburn Wing series.

It's an 80s thing, and a bit different to the run of the mill stuff in it's own way.

If it was on *bay, I'm pretty sure it would be desribed as "vintage" and "rare" at least. :)

It was once white, but it looks like Washburn finished the neck in nitro and the body in poly, or at least in two different finishing coats, because they have aged differently. The body is not quite as white as the pictures make out, the neck is about that colour, it has yellowed more than the body.

The body is made of the finest ply, but actually the rosewood board is quite nice looking. Angled headstock, and the tuners all still work nicely. The frets were showing some wear so i had them dressed a while ago, there is still a bit of wear in the last 2 or 3 but it plays nicely, not the lowest action in the world but still good.

The pickups aren't the originals, when I bought this about 20 years ago it had some ceramic humbuckers in it that only sounded good (for them) with maximum distortion, and it's been through a few different things since. Most recently (about 10 years ago I think) I fitted a pair of reasonably period sold-to-me-as 80s DiMarzios (no evidence to say they are) in new (cheapo) pickup surrounds. I also put in all new CTS pots and orange caps, so the electrics work fine. The humbuckers do the humbucker thing, fairly mellow tone. The tone control for the neck pickup doesn't seem to do anything but I'm not sure if that's just because I didnt' choose the right cap. I seem to recall the knobs being a pain to get back on (I've since learnt there are two sizes of shaft) so they would probably be a pain to take off again. It has some 10s on it that look fairly new.

It has a fair few dings and the back is pretty scuffed up, it is what it is and not too bad for 40 years old.

I don't have a case for it, but I reckon for shipping the best bet would probably be to unbolt the neck, fold it in half and send it well padded in a big box as "guitar parts".

£95 plus UK postage, apologies but this is UK only for postage (it wouldnt' be worth the cost to send this overseas anyway).

Can be collected from BD20 (Skipton).

Wing-1.thumb.JPG.20687d0c3c6d587a304e06cd0a670794.JPG

Wing-2.thumb.JPG.4f2383ebf3d85a232732bb2e6a4b8231.JPG

Edited by adamg67

1 hour ago, ash said:

Is the Washburn logo scuffed or is it reflection? I had a Wing series bass is it a bolt on neck? Cheers 

Yes, there's a scuff on the logo. It is a bolt on neck, the Raven was the entry level shall we say :) in the Wing series.

• Thanks 1