Why become a member? ×

Please have a listen, this took me AGES! haha

Zoe_BillySheehan

[quote name='AM1' post='450008' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:59 PM']Zoe, this is great work, I am really impressed.

If you are interested in the production side, why not think about doing a course? This could be something for you to add to your skills and open more career possibilities.

Cheers
AM[/quote]

I'm definatly concidering it.
Unfortunatly i won't be able to do it for the next 2 years...
cause im starting a 2 year media course in sept (which im really looking forward to :) )
but yeah, i might!

Z
x

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='450028' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:12 PM']I'm definatly concidering it.
Unfortunatly i won't be able to do it for the next 2 years...
cause im starting a 2 year media course in sept (which im really looking forward to :) )
but yeah, i might!

Z
x[/quote]

a course in music production or audio tech is a good idea...i wish my uni had a better course though (it's a bit lacking) ^_^

since you're a student, and you've got a mac, i would look into getting a full copy of logic 8, with the student discount you can get it for around 120 i think? that was a few years ago, it might be a bit more now. but it's an excellent all-in-one solution and is (one of) the industry standards, so it's worth getting familiar with. it might look a bit complex at first but it only becomes as complex as you make it, if that makes sense. the advantage of logic over some other software is that the plug-ins are all excellent quality (if you don't know what those are -- they're the compressors, eq's, and other processors, including other things like synths and drums -- ultrabeat won't replace a real drummer but it's pretty good). once you learn the software, you can pretty much do anything you can imagine.

pair that with a decent soundcard (these can be had for around the same price, or a bit more (or less), depending on what you go for), some decent monitors, and you'll be good to go! :rolleyes:

edit: by the way, i should add that 95% of what i've learned about the recording process i've learned on my own, either through experience or just by reading books about it. you can do it! :D

Edited by escholl

[quote name='escholl' post='450069' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:46 PM']a course in music production or audio tech is a good idea...i wish my uni had a better course though (it's a bit lacking) ^_^

since you're a student, and you've got a mac, i would look into getting a full copy of logic 8, with the student discount you can get it for around 120 i think? that was a few years ago, it might be a bit more now. but it's an excellent all-in-one solution and is (one of) the industry standards, so it's worth getting familiar with. it might look a bit complex at first but it only becomes as complex as you make it, if that makes sense. the advantage of logic over some other software is that the plug-ins are all excellent quality (if you don't know what those are -- they're the compressors, eq's, and other processors, including other things like synths and drums -- ultrabeat won't replace a real drummer but it's pretty good). once you learn the software, you can pretty much do anything you can imagine.

pair that with a decent soundcard (these can be had for around the same price, or a bit more (or less), depending on what you go for), some decent monitors, and you'll be good to go! :)

edit: by the way, i should add that 95% of what i've learned about the recording process i've learned on my own, either through experience or just by reading books about it. you can do it! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hello :D

Whats the course you're doing/done at uni?

And thanks a lot for the advice ;) really do appreciate it!

Yeah, i think with all this stuff, it is good to just sit down on your own, and work it out for yourself :lol:

but yeah, really am considering doing a course now!

thank again!

Z
x

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='450167' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:34 AM']Hello :)

Whats the course you're doing/done at uni?

And thanks a lot for the advice :rolleyes: really do appreciate it!

Yeah, i think with all this stuff, it is good to just sit down on your own, and work it out for yourself :D

but yeah, really am considering doing a course now!

thank again!

Z
x[/quote]

The course that I'm doing (although there's only three weeks left of class -- feels weird to think of that) is Audio Technology & Electronics -- I've focused more on the electronics side in my courses and learned the music production part more independently through my own projects, band, experience, etc as while it's important to learn things like microphone techniques, and how things like compressors work so that you can use them most effectively, the majority of it is just sitting down and doing it, becoming comfortable with the software and techniques until it becomes like second nature. Having said that, I always think my mixes are rubbish ^_^

Like i said, you will get the hang of it -- but if it's something you really enjoy, then i would def suggest taking a course in it. Since you can't do that yet, my advice would be -- and yes, i know it sounds a bit lame -- but honestly, get some books on it, read them, apply it to your mixes -- it will give you a serious headstart. Two I'd recommend are [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Recording-Techniques-David-Miles/dp/0240806255/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238493600&sr=8-2"]Modern Recording Techniques[/url] for an overall guidebook to recording and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Audio-Science-Bob-Katz/dp/0240808371/ref=pd_sim_b_3"]Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science[/url] which is about more than mastering, it's really an excellent overview of how music gets from artist to final product, and how to get it there. Those are the two I've read that I've found most useful, however you will probably want to get a copy of something like [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Recording-Musicians-Dummies-Strong/dp/0470385421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238494014&sr=1-1"]this[/url] before those other two, as they can be a bit technical and it would be easier, i think, to start with a bit less technical overview. However, I've not read that one, so I can't say either way, but the "for dummies" books are usually pretty good.

Anything else you want to know, just ask ;)

--Eric

[quote name='escholl' post='450373' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:13 AM']The course that I'm doing (although there's only three weeks left of class -- feels weird to think of that) is Audio Technology & Electronics -- I've focused more on the electronics side in my courses and learned the music production part more independently through my own projects, band, experience, etc as while it's important to learn things like microphone techniques, and how things like compressors work so that you can use them most effectively, the majority of it is just sitting down and doing it, becoming comfortable with the software and techniques until it becomes like second nature. Having said that, I always think my mixes are rubbish ^_^

Like i said, you will get the hang of it -- but if it's something you really enjoy, then i would def suggest taking a course in it. Since you can't do that yet, my advice would be -- and yes, i know it sounds a bit lame -- but honestly, get some books on it, read them, apply it to your mixes -- it will give you a serious headstart. Two I'd recommend are [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Recording-Techniques-David-Miles/dp/0240806255/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238493600&sr=8-2"]Modern Recording Techniques[/url] for an overall guidebook to recording and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Audio-Science-Bob-Katz/dp/0240808371/ref=pd_sim_b_3"]Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science[/url] which is about more than mastering, it's really an excellent overview of how music gets from artist to final product, and how to get it there. Those are the two I've read that I've found most useful, however you will probably want to get a copy of something like [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Recording-Musicians-Dummies-Strong/dp/0470385421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238494014&sr=1-1"]this[/url] before those other two, as they can be a bit technical and it would be easier, i think, to start with a bit less technical overview. However, I've not read that one, so I can't say either way, but the "for dummies" books are usually pretty good.

Anything else you want to know, just ask :)

--Eric[/quote]

Hey Eric :rolleyes:

the 'dummies' one does look good.
Ive heard there pretty good books!

Thanks again for all your help, really do appreciate it.

anyway, im off to wash this hair dye off lol. byee

Zo
x