Why become a member? ×

Another problem with nuts

thinman

Old problem I'm sure but I have problems with the A string on my MIM Jazz jumping out occassionally and coming to rest nearer the E.

I assume the main problem is that the slot doesn't align with the edge of the tuning machine too well or that they assume a certain amount of turns of string to make up that distance (which I may not have).

What would you recommend:

1. New nut with deeper slots - the Jazz ones seem quite shallow?

2. Fit a string tree?

3. Wind more turns on the tuning machine?

4. Convince my wife I need a new, really good, bass?

[quote name='thinman' post='444894' date='Mar 25 2009, 12:34 PM']Old problem I'm sure but I have problems with the A string on my MIM Jazz jumping out occassionally and coming to rest nearer the E.

I assume the main problem is that the slot doesn't align with the edge of the tuning machine too well or that they assume a certain amount of turns of string to make up that distance (which I may not have).

What would you recommend:

1. New nut with deeper slots - the Jazz ones seem quite shallow?

2. Fit a string tree?

3. Wind more turns on the tuning machine?

4. Convince my wife I need a new, really good, bass?[/quote]

3 is the obvious first port of call.

1 and 2 are more labour intensive, and fitting a second tree smacks of quick fix which will also make an extra hole in your headstock. Replacement nut is the way to go if the nut is the problem.

Good luck with 4 :)

Oh, forgot to mention, you could try a Hipshot string retainer INSTEAD of the current tree. Get a 3 string variant and put the A, D and G strings through it.

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/vault:hardware:hipshot:string_retainer"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/vault:hardware:...string_retainer[/url]

Like this, just ignore the G string on this OLP MM3:

Edited by neepheid

I had a similar problem with my Jazz, which turned out be due to the fact that I'd would the string the wrong way. How I missed this, I have no idea but I decided I needed a new nut and the tech I took it to didn't spot it either, or did, and just wound it the same I had to con me out of £25.

As Neepheid says, more windings sounds like the way forward. The more windings there are, the more obtuse the string angle will be, giving a better 'break' over the nut and reducing the likelihood of the string jumping out again. If that is the solution then it means you avoid forking out to see if solutions 1 or 2 will fix it, which they may not.