Bizarre post and a shot in the dark. 

my old teacher Colin Bilham has just died (age 90).  First bass guitar chair in the west end and one of original Superstar and Joseph bands I believe. 

he *should* have sold his ‘64 precision to me a few years back (2005ish) but was arm twisted (I think) to flog it for (gulp) £750 by (I can only assume) some with minimal

scruples. (Supposition there!)

I was gutted. More so to discover that it then got sold on at auction in 2015 by Tennants in the UK at a price I could still have managed (£2.5k). 
the auctioneers tell me it left the UK but can’t say where. 

Colin bought it from the bass player in the Hollies...

anyway, would LOVE to track it down (and ideally buy it back for posterity) - I’m gutted he’s gone (knew him for almost 40 years).

anyone come across it (info here including serial):

https://bid.tennants.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/300/lot/437946?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch%2F%3Fkey%3DColin%2Bbilham%26search-area%3Don%26xclosed%3Dno

EF6192C7-3B1D-4E64-866F-E5D436A68276.png

7D593645-635B-45C6-B155-139B793A9979.jpeg

• Like 1

£2.5k for a ‘64 in 2015 seems an altered reality! Good luck with your search, if you find it for sale I hope you get equally lucky with price

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

£2.5k for a ‘64 in 2015 seems an altered reality! Good luck with your search, if you find it for sale I hope you get equally lucky with price

I paid £3,750 for a 63’ in 2015 too. All original. 

14 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I paid £3,750 for a 63’ in 2015 too. All original. 

Alright Lawrie, don't rub it in, and everyone knows '64 was a far better year anyway :)

12 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I had to sell it in the end to pay for a loft conversion!

...any good for metal??

21 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

...any good for metal??

There were two steel beams! Previous owners hadn’t done it properly and the engineer and builders kept finding more and more problems. Think I slimmed the collection down to a single bass at that point.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Marc S
      This one is really going to hurt - But The "cull" must continue, sadly - I need to reduce the amount of "stuff" I own, and thin my collection (although this need has lessened a little lately).

For sale only is my Limelight medium relic Precision, in faded Fiesta Red. This really is a superbly built bass, as anyone who knows Mark's work really is.
      NOTE: This bass has a Jazz width neck (which is what I asked Mark for)

I don't know what pickups Mark uses in his Limelight range - but they sound superb.... the bass has a lovely warm vintage tone. It weighs around 4kg, according to my digital scales. Currently strung with Round wounds, which are in great shape (I put flats on it for a while, but have recently put the supplied round-wounds back on it).

I don't have a case or spare gigbag, so you will need to bring your own. Collection only - or we can meet somewhere mutually convenient -  I have an excellent Bose Battery powered amp, or Vox Amp Headphones for you to listen to the bass. 

• By bootleg
      Up for sale (no trades please) is my 2016 American Vintage '63 Precision in faded sonic blue with rosewood fingerboard. In immaculate condition, only played indoors, never gigged or rehearsed. There's some minor checking on the heal and upper horn, but in a very fetching and tasteful way (flash coat acquer). Been after one of these for ever, but despite many attempts, it just hasn't grabbed me. I have enough Precisions, got a new kitchen on the way, and I'd like someone else to give it the love it deserves. Of course, these are discontinued, and they are extremely well made recreations of the 1963 era P bass. Many details elsewhere on line, but key specs from my perspective:
      alder body flash coat lacquer (minor checking which I've tried to show) maple C shaped neck (some nice figuring on the neck) round-laminated rosewood fingerboard, 7.25" radius 1.74" nut width bone nut American Vintage '63 Precision Bass Split Single-Coil 20 vintage style frets (well dressed, 20th fret has some slap wear from the shop not from me) Vintage reverse tuners 3-ply mint green pickguard chrome pickup and bridge covers, lower finger rest, clay-coloured dot inlays, auxiliary strap button on headstock American Vintage Bass bridge with Threaded Steel "Barrel" Saddles Vintage blonde case with red interior Case candy (Fender flats on the bass, the rounds got used) 4.03kg/8.9llbs on my fish scales Happy to ship at buyers expense in Great Britain.
      Very difficult to capture the subtlety of the faded sonic blue on camera.

• By nationofzeros
      For sale ; an elegant and classy Adam Clayton signature Fender Jazz Bass, in unmarked condition and barely played :- condition 'mint'
      Sherwood Green Metallic gloss urethane finished alder body, with matching headstock Maple neck with custom "C" profile and vintage style heel truss-rod adjustment 9.5"-radius rosewood fingerboard with 20 medium jumbo frets and white pearloid block inlays, satin urethane finish on back of neck  Dual Fender Custom Shop '60s single-coil Jazz Bass pickups Vintage-style black plastic Jazz Bass control knobs Vintage-style HiMass™ string-through-body/top-load bridge Fender®/Hipshot® Vintage-Style "Lollipop" tuners As the specification shows, everything about the design selections on this bass oozes sophistication, refinement and playability. Additionally, it has all the myriad classic J-Bass tones nailed, and with its super - thick urethane gloss clearcoat, chrome hardware and pearloid scratchplate, it looks stunning in the flesh!

Bass comes complete with non OEM tweed hard case