Why become a member? ×

Researching small 350-500w amps for 'first' amp.

warwickhunt

I have just picked up a Peavey Minimax 600watt for a relative just starting out on bass. I was pretty surprised how nice it sounded in the shop without twiddling any knobs. 

Anyway I took it home and plugged my barefaced cab into it and it still sounds fine but not as good as it sounded through the ampeg cab that I used in the shop. I have an old mesa boogie cab which is going to a new owner soon so I will try it with that later. Maybe it will sound better with a "voiced" bass cab rather than the FRFR barefaced.  So far few a couple of  niggles which would annoy me but may not faze my relative as he is a new player. 

1) The fan is pretty loud. 

2)The buttons for the presets make an audible click through the speaker when pushed on or off.

3) The labels on the controls are inset into the front of the amp which makes it hard to see unless the amp is close to eye level. But I guess after you get used to the amp you will be familiar with the controls by their position rather than the labels.

Any views on this amp? Good or not so good.

• Like 1