Why become a member? ×

Bass amp

Trevge1

Hey I might

have to replace my 2X10 SWR redhead as I have water damage. Any recommendations for something to replace It with? I am wide open to check out anything.  I love the sound I had with the twin 10’s but will listen to what ever anyone has to say about their favourite amps.  

Opening myself up here, but with amp/speaker/cabinet advances you have a ton of options available to replace a 400w, 2x10 combo weighing 80lbs (80lbs!).

Ask yourself what your budget is, how much power/headroom you need, size/weight/portability, what you want it to do (subjective, but what style if music do you play?), do you need a combo as opposed to a head/enclosure set up.

...answer these and you'll have dozens of members chipping in.

• Like 2

Glockenklang Soul, 450 W, 2 x 10". 38 kg = 84 lbs!

SWR has many nice sets and I suppose they are available in Canada. I might look for a head and a cab, as a similar combo is heavy! If 2 x 10" sounds good, a 2 x 12" would also be an option. Cone area is bigger than in a single 15" but not as big as a 4 x 10". Moves air. Soundwise I like a bigger box of a double speaker than like 2 x (1 x 12").

• Like 1

15 hours ago, itu said:

Glockenklang Soul, 450 W, 2 x 10". 38 kg = 84 lbs!

SWR has many nice sets and I suppose they are available in Canada. I might look for a head and a cab, as a similar combo is heavy! If 2 x 10" sounds good, a 2 x 12" would also be an option. Cone area is bigger than in a single 15" but not as big as a 4 x 10". Moves air. Soundwise I like a bigger box of a double speaker than like 2 x (1 x 12").

Are you aware that SWR as a company has been shut down for almost 7 years and that there is no support available (including parts)?

14 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

Are you aware that SWR as a company has been shut down for almost 7 years and that there is no support available (including parts)?

Yes, I do. I still think that an american company has sold quite well in the area. As an example, I have seen many Mo'bass heads there for a decent price. They are rare here in Europe, and prices are high, too. Steve W. Rabe has had many other interesting units like Interstellar overdrive, MiniMo, and biamp bass heads.

I suppose a lot will depend on your budget, and what you want from an amp.

Fender Rumble 500

Ashdown MAG C210 300 (PMT) / Ashdown OriginAL C210 300 / Ashdown RM C210 500

Ampeg BA210 or the new Rocket 500

Blackstar Unity 500

GK MB500

etc., etc.

Edited by Skybone

• 4 weeks later...