Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lindy Fralin P bass pups.

bigthumb

Many moons ago I owned a Lakland Bob Glaub which I was told had Fralins fitted. Now whether these were stock or an upgrade I never knew but what I did know was that is sounded superb. To my ears at the time it sounded more aggressive and punchy than a standard Precision bass. At the moment I own 3 Precisions. A CiJ with dull flats fitted and the pup upgraded to a Fender vintage type which is great, dose exactly what I want it to do. A stock US '95 and my stock '07 S1 which I'd like to upgrade. I'd remove the S1 loom and fit a new KiOgon one and the pups, but which ones? If my old Lakland did have Fralins fitted would they have been standard wound or +- wound? Or, to try and recreate that Lakland sound as described should I opt for the standard of overwound? 

Don't know about the Bob Glaub, but I have an early Lakland Skyline Jazz with Fralins. Sounds fabulous. I think they're standard wind as I'm generally not keen on the slightly darker sound of overwound pickups. 

EDIT - Just found the extract below on the Lakland site. Doesn't mention the wind, but it's all about old school tone so probably standard.

Bob Glaub and Lakland spent considerable time finding the right pickup. After many A/B tests, the team chose a Lindy Fralin split-coil humbucker that they connect to 250k volume and tone controls. Fralin rewinds a ton of vintage pickups, so it’s no surprise his single-coils and humbuckers have a wonderful Old School sound.

Speaking of tone, the BG sounds like a good P-Bass should: strong low-mids, a slight upper-midrange bite, and a taut top. The bass sounded way fat through an Ampeg SVT rig. A hi-fi setup brought out the instrument’s woodiness with even more low-mid definition. Like all time-tested P-Basses, the Glaub sits well in a variety of situations, both live and in the studio.

https://www.lakland.com/testimonials/review-of-skyline-44-64-vintage-p/

Edited by ikay
  • Thanks 1