Why become a member? ×

Impedance choice

Count Bassy

I currently only have a small 65watt combo (Marshall B65), which has served me fairly well, and so far I have got away with DI'ing when I've needed extra umph. In anticipation of playing out more, however, I am now thinking about upgrading to a stack system, or a much pokier combo with extension cab, possibly with a 1 x15 and a 2 x 10.

Sound wise I obviously need to go out and try stuff, but have done some initial looking into possibilities and prices on the interweb.

I get the impression that most systems in my target range are based around 8 ohm cabs, thus dropping to 4 ohms if you have two cabs, but that some are based around 4 ohm cabs dropping to 2 ohms with two cabinets.

Given that I'd be getting a matching amplifier, is there any inherent advantage in going for 8/4 ohms over the 4/2 ohms, or vic versa?

One of my concerns is that if I go for 4/2 ohms it will make it harder to "mix and match" at a later date if required (on the basis that an 8/4 amp might not like driving into 2 ohms, where as a 2/4 ohhm amp would still drive an 8 ohm cab if required, albeit with some loss of volume)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2 x 4 Ohms are more unusual but if your head delivers maximum output at 2 ohms then that's the way to go.

I would choose a head 1st and then buy cabs to suit. Unless of course a pair of great cabs comes your way and limits your head options.

Peter - Who actually has a Yamaha BBT500 head and one BBT210 4ohm 2x10 not getting used, must put em up for sale.

Everything you said in your first post makes perfect sense.

Having said that, the volume difference between 4 ohms and 2, (assuming you amp will double its output power, which many don't) is a pretty negligible 3db. Might as well have an amp thats happy at 2 ohms because the volume loss when you run a 4 ohm stack wont be great and you'll have the ability to either have more rig or different cabinets later.

Are you looking at any setups particularly?

I would go for a head that takes 2 cabs and delivers full power into 4 ohms simply down to the reason that 8 ohm cabs are plentyfull and, with more choice, you get cheaper prices. I used to use my Eden 500 head bridged with one 4x10 8ohm cab to achieve full power but most amps don't have that option. My only other alternative would have been to buy two 4 ohm cabs and that would have cost a fortune.