Why become a member? ×

Plucking Hand Muting - Technique Advice needed

ritch12

I know stuff on muting has been posted a thousand times but there seems to be a thousand techniques to this. I need a bit of help on what I am trying to achieve here.

I been playing bass for around a year and I didn’t realize the importance of good a muting technique until I started recording myself! I am self taught so have taken a few easy routes that involve not muting much with my plucking hand, apart from resting on the lower string with walking fingers.

Anyway, the following common technique is what I am currently working on with my right plucking hand (I use a 4 string bass): -

Thumb resting on pickup when playing E string
Thumb resting on E string when playing A string
Thumb resting on A string when playing D string
Thumb resting on D string when playing G string

When going from G string back to low E I use my ring finger to rest on the string I just played, I’m finding that a bit clumsy at the moment but it’s the only way I can seem to mute from higher tone to lower tone strings.

Overall this seems to be the most natural way for me but I need to know if I’m going the right way with the thumb and ring finger muting before I start investing a shed load of time in this, is there a more efficient way? For some reason I’m not into floating thumb, I just don’t like the feel of it but resting can take more time to manoeuvre I’m starting to realise, I’m hoping practice will address that issue.

I’m looking to get a really clear sound with my playing and am willing to invest a lot of time on it. I’d really appreciate any feedback on this.

Ritch

Hi Ritch, personally I use my left hand to mute ringing notes. It's hard to explain, but i just use my fingers (on the left hand) to muffle the string from vibrating before fretting the next note. I occasionally use my right hand for muting, but not very often. Like you said, I usually only bring my thumb as low as the E string - more as a thumb rest than a muting thing.

[quote name='Simon' post='443073' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:42 PM']Hi Ritch, personally I use my left hand to mute ringing notes. It's hard to explain, but i just use my fingers (on the left hand) to muffle the string from vibrating before fretting the next note.[/quote]

Same here!

[quote name='ritch12' post='443034' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:19 PM']Thumb resting on pickup when playing E string
Thumb resting on E string when playing A string
Thumb resting on A string when playing D string
Thumb resting on D string when playing G string[/quote]

More efficient? Try this;

- Thumb resting on pickup when playing E string
- Thumb resting on pickup when playing A string (plucking finger following through and touching the E string will mute it in this case)
- Thumb resting on E when playing D string (see above for muting A string)
- Thumb resting between E & A string, touching both, when playing G string (see above for muting D string)

This takes care of muting all the strings below the one currently being plucked. To deal with those above the one currently being plucked, use the 1st finger on the left hand, which is always kept flat against the fingerboard. Using both techniques will ensure that only the string you want to play is able to ring out.

Jennifer

Damp [b]plucked[/b] strings with the plucking hand. It's much more efficient as you fingers are there ready to play anyway.
If you're playing on the E string then your fretting hand naturally mutes the higher strings so they don't ring in sympathy. I've played both ways and certainly for recording it really cleans up your playing. I've been fortunate to have quite a lot of students over the years and it seems not to have posed a problem for anyone. It is like many things with technique - not a natural thing to do initially but it will improve the cleanliness and punch of your bass playing. Check out Gary Willis Progressive Bassics (I think it's on YouTube) to see it in action.
Cheers
Mat

I just noticed that the OP was also talking about muting strings below the one being plucked. On a four string bass Jennifer's suggestion above seems the most logical. If you go for 5- or 6-strings in the future a floating thumb (or lightly touching straight thumb) is better as if you play top G on a five you have to damp 4 lower strings.

as I've always moved my thumb when playing different strings, my method, as taught to me by Steve Lawson, is to mute the strings below the string I'm resting my thumb on with my thumb, so:

E string - thumb on pickup/neck/ramp/thumb rest/etc.
A string - thumb on E string
D string - thumb on A string, muting E
G string - thumb on D string, muting A and E

I highly recommend using floating thumb regardless of the number of strings on your bass. That way if/when you switch to a 5/6+ there's less transitionary practice needed, you can play someone else's etc. Other advantages are it's easier to shift up/down strings, easier to shift along the string length (no need to unanchor each time you want to move), reduces tension in the right hand as you don't have to anchor, makes you play with a lighter touch, can help you to keep a more natural hand position, etc.

Disadvantages: some feel less 'contacted'/'connected' with their instrument, some feel they can't dig in as much, some feel it's less secure, etc.

Basically it's great for relaxation and ease of movement beyond a point. However anchoring can help provide a comparatively more secure anchorpoint, and will work fine. My opinion is that it is more of a hindrance than a help in the long run though.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='443538' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:48 AM']I highly recommend using floating thumb regardless of the number of strings on your bass. That way if/when you switch to a 5/6+ there's less transitionary practice needed, you can play someone else's etc. Other advantages are it's easier to shift up/down strings, easier to shift along the string length (no need to unanchor each time you want to move), reduces tension in the right hand as you don't have to anchor, makes you play with a lighter touch, can help you to keep a more natural hand position, etc.

Disadvantages: some feel less 'contacted'/'connected' with their instrument, some feel they can't dig in as much, some feel it's less secure, etc.

Basically it's great for relaxation and ease of movement beyond a point. However anchoring can help provide a comparatively more secure anchorpoint, and will work fine. My opinion is that it is more of a hindrance than a help in the long run though.

Mark[/quote]

+1, but I didn't encounter any of the disadvantages, I've found it a more intimate way of playing. :) does that sound a bit creepy?

I also (try to) mute the strings below the one I'm playing with the fingers of my left hand as mentioned by Jennifer

Thanks for this info its a great help, i checked out the 3 finger technique and feel that is beyond me at this point, i feel quite natural using two fingers and using my ring finger for resting when needed. the thumb opinions are interesting, i might give floating thumb another go for a few days, i'll probably end up with something between floating and achoring.

i'm all for dampening using my plucking hand, i feel restricted using my fretting hand to dampen. That could cause me problems when getting into slapping though so probably need to think about that??

[quote name='ritch12' post='444449' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:19 PM']i'm all for dampening using my plucking hand, i feel restricted using my fretting hand to dampen. That could cause me problems when getting into slapping though so probably need to think about that??[/quote]

Most of the notes I play when slapping are ghost notes so all the higher strings will be dampened anyway - and your thumb will probably be taking care of the lower strings anyway.

[quote name='The Funk' post='444610' date='Mar 25 2009, 02:05 AM']Most of the notes I play when slapping are ghost notes so all the higher strings will be dampened anyway - and your thumb will probably be taking care of the lower strings anyway.[/quote]

Id go with him on here ghost notes a deffo,i would also try to imagine you are playing a drum on your bass and try to forget about technique studies as much it will come naturally eventually. Stop thinking so much and listen to yourself.

Edited by YouMa

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also add that once you find a technical approach that works for you, stick with it and push it as far as you can. You'll notice much more of an improvement in technique than if you chop and change between different approaches. I aim for comfort first, tone second. It's no good having a great sound and your wrist cramps up after one hour of playing!