Why become a member? ×

Suggestion: Discussion board addition

Buzz

Now, this recent spate of threads degenerating into conversations in Offtopic pinged off the ol' thought processes and I thought of perhaps an online chat feature, but then thought, by god no, far too serious to run in the background.

However, I then thought...why not just have a discussion board?

A good example is b3ta's message board: [url="http://www.b3ta.com/board/"]http://www.b3ta.com/board/[/url]

Have it as a subboard to off topic, people can converse all they like!

Yes/No/Get back to your hole?

[quote name='Buzz' post='442958' date='Mar 23 2009, 07:29 PM']Now, this recent spate of threads degenerating into conversations in Offtopic pinged off the ol' thought processes

[...]

I then thought...why not just have a discussion board?

[...]

Yes/No/Get back to your hole?[/quote]

I think the threads in Off-topic which degenerate into conversations are probably the whole point of Off-topic.

Edited by The Funk

I get the idea of this acutally, the other bass forum i used to be on had a "casual" thread where people just chatted about day to day life. The idea of off topic- in my mind- is merely to post threads that aren't bass realated, but people have taken it to mean that they can go off on one in any topic posted there. I'd have thought that a casual thread would be quite a good idea. It would function similarly to a drunk thread, but of course you wouldn't have to be drunk :) In fact, stuff it, I'm starting a casual.

Pretty much what Josh said.

Such Mini discussion threads seem to flow a lot better than the use of lots and lots of threads in Offtopic, and it can be used for general ramblings. They're also pretty good for community feelings I've found, as people banter and actually converse a lot more on them, rather than having to access specific threads regarding specific subjects.

It'll also allow the Off-Topic section threads to be more concise and specific with regards to questions, answers and views.

If you've never used one you should give one a go, you'll soon see just how nice they are.

[quote name='The Funk' post='443336' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:57 AM']I think the threads in Off-topic which degenerate into conversations are probably the whole point of Off-topic.[/quote]

Er...yes. That's what I thought too. (Plus, how do you differentiate between a sequenced dialogue and a conversation?)

Happy to take the idea onboard, though.

I thought the whole point of off-topic was not to simply delve into random conversations, but simply be other topic from the main interest from the rest of the board (eg, it's not about basses or bass related equipment).

Each seperate thread is a topic unto itself.

[quote name='Buzz' post='448132' date='Mar 28 2009, 03:13 PM']I thought the whole point of off-topic was not to simply delve into random conversations, but simply be other topic from the main interest from the rest of the board (eg, it's not about basses or bass related equipment).

Each seperate thread is a topic unto itself.[/quote]

+1

on the plus side the casual thread is kicking off! Maybe it could be pinned?