Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Corvette

AM1

Just wondering if anyone here uses Rockbass Corvette. Great sounding bass which seems to be seriously under-rated. I have tried a 5 stringer, looking for some feedback on what the neck/playability is like on the 4 stringer.

Cheers
AM

silly ARGH, sound and price aren't always linked :)

Used a rockbass streamer for a while, playability wasn't all there for my liking, but the sound was. Might want to wait a bit until the new range of rockbasses come out as this will either lower the price of the older one or you might find you prefer the newer one. Easiest way to tell the difference is to see whether it has a one piece bridge (Mark 1) or two piece (Mark 2)

I played the active 4 stringer before i bought my Warwick, it sold the German made one to me!
Fantastic sound and the neck was really nice (my introduction to Warwick necks too). I bought the German made Warwick because at the time there was a price difference of less than £200 so it was a no-brainer.

Keep an eye out on eBay, the German ones go for £300+. I found an German FNA Corvette (one MM pickup) that went for under £280 the other week.

EDIT: I found the neck pretty much the same as the German version. Pretty slim 'board but deep yet comfy neck profile. I didn't like my old Warwick 5er (a passive Streamer Standard, percursor to the Rockbass range), the 4 felt right for me.

But then i do play like a girl!

Edited by lemmywinks

Thanks both of you for the info, I didn't even know there was a new one due out. But I really prefer playing older basses that are a bit more worn in, hence if I could find an el cheapo 2nd hand 4 string rockbass, I'd probably buy it.

PS..I play like a girl too. Oh..hang on...I AM one! :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='443016' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:08 PM']:)

Well the older ones are still great, but all I thought is that once the new ones come out (no idea when btw, maybe in a month or two) the value of the first editions might drop if you want to get a bargain![/quote]

Good call yeah! I love the sound. I have never tried the 4 stringer neck though, really curious about how playable it is.

I've never played one but I've been impressed with the tone people get out of them. There was a Japanese girl playing one at a blues jam I go to sometimes (basement of The Spice Of Life, Cambridge Circus, Soho - Monday nights) - sounded great! It looked pretty cool too. She had a blue one.

[quote name='The Funk' post='443089' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:55 PM']at a blues jam I go to sometimes (basement of The Spice Of Life, Cambridge Circus, Soho - Monday nights)[/quote]

Haha, you're obviously not there tonight :)

I have a Rockbass Corvette 4. It's pretty nice - got that clean, precise active sound from the 2 jazz style pickups and 2 band EQ, it's pretty light and the neck is reasonably comfortable. It's Jazz width, which I usually don't get along with but the neck is chunky back to front - very much D profile. It's well finished and I've been pretty impressed with it.

Having said that, I'm toying with the idea of selling it.

[quote name='josh3184' post='442941' date='Mar 23 2009, 07:21 PM']silly ARGH, sound and price aren't always linked :)

Used a rockbass streamer for a while, playability wasn't all there for my liking, but the sound was. Might want to wait a bit until the new range of rockbasses come out as this will either lower the price of the older one or you might find you prefer the newer one. Easiest way to tell the difference is to see whether it has a one piece bridge (Mark 1) or two piece (Mark 2)[/quote]
No :rolleyes: :D but build quality and tone can be.....

Cheap basses are great in the bedroom,get them cranked and they sound horrid....and they break,bad pots,bad jacks,bad fretwork,bad necks...bad nut,bad bad bad BAD!!

Things have got better in recent years with far eastern made instruments!

[quote name='ARGH' post='443143' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:31 PM']Cheap basses are great in the bedroom,get them cranked and they sound horrid....and they break,bad pots,bad jacks,bad fretwork,bad necks...bad nut,bad bad bad BAD!![/quote]

I really disagree. I have a cheap FrankenFender P copy and I've had it through a Trace Elliott head and my own (newly acquired) Ampeg SVT3 Pro and the tone is absolutely outstanding. It was around £100. In fact, I will probably use it as my main gigging bass for now.

Of course, you're probably right about mass produced ones, but this was hand assembled and is a quality bass for the price.

[quote name='ARGH' post='443143' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:31 PM']No :) :rolleyes: but build quality and tone can be.....

Cheap basses are great in the bedroom,get them cranked and they sound horrid....and they break,bad pots,bad jacks,bad fretwork,bad necks...bad nut,bad bad bad BAD!!

Things have got better in recent years with far eastern made instruments![/quote]

true true, I just like disagreeing with you, you bring out the most colourful arguments!

Edited by josh3184

[quote name='neepheid' post='443137' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:23 PM']I have a Rockbass Corvette 4. It's pretty nice - got that clean, precise active sound from the 2 jazz style pickups and 2 band EQ, it's pretty light and the neck is reasonably comfortable. It's Jazz width, which I usually don't get along with but the neck is chunky back to front - very much D profile. It's well finished and I've been pretty impressed with it.[/quote]

That's what I wasn't totally sure about, is it just an active bass ie. no switching between passive and active. OK fair enough.

[quote name='neepheid' post='443137' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:23 PM']Having said that, I'm toying with the idea of selling it.[/quote]

Ahem. :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='443143' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:31 PM']No :) :rolleyes: but build quality and tone can be.....

Things have got better in recent years with far eastern made instruments![/quote]

The one i tried had the same electrics as my Warwick (although don't think it had the push pull volume and didn't have the stacked eq pots)
The only issue i had with mine was the push/pull pot started cutting out (had to retire it for a few weeks). Replaced this and it's been fine since.
Have to say it is a battle weary bass, gigged with it at lease once a week (sometimes 3 or 4 if i was depping) and it got left in a case in the van for days. Probably contributed to the pot cutting out!
The fit and finish on the Rockbass i tried was very tidy, just didn't get on with the finish on the neck as it didn't feel as nice as the German one

I tried a Rockbass Corvette in Reverb about a year ago & was seriously disappointed with the build quality. It buzzed a little & the parts on it felt so brittle & was noisy to turn.
Tried a Warwick $$ & was a totally different instrument (kinda expected that). If you want a Vette, I'd save up a bit longer for a Warwick.

I tried one years back when I was doing a spot of recording and the guy offered to let me use his RockBass Corvette.

Was really impressed by the sound, and at this point I had never played a Warwick. I thought the built was alright, discounting the strong fret buzz. But I thought if I was impressed with a RockBass, I thought I had to try a Warwick. Then became a Warwick man and was gigging one as my main bass for about two years.