Why become a member? ×

Brexit distribution and delays

cetera

I've just been talking with a couple of major bass gear distributors and they have said that they are experiencing huge delays and issues with shipments coming into the UK from their European manufacturing sources. Entire container shipments are not being picked up due to a combination of Covid affecting courier staff availability and problems with Brexit paperwork. Of the few containers that are getting as far as the UK, some have even been turned back due to the sheer bloody-mindedness of HM customs.

Another problem is the containers themselves. Brexit and courier problems has meant that many are then stuck here (lots come in from US/Asia etc as well as Europe) as we are not shipping enough products back the other way to justify using/sending them. This means empty containers are in the wrong place and the market cost of using them has gone into an auction type situation where e.g. a container that previously cost £4k to use is now costing upwards of £14k!

In short, if you're waiting on any new product from Europe to hit your UK retailer, or have custom orders etc due, expect a very long delay and no 'due date'. Make sure you agree a price and pay a deposit now too as end prices can only go up as a result.... 

Edited by cetera
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, cetera said:

Another problem is the containers themselves. Brexit and courier problems has meant that, of the few containers that get to the UK, many are then stuck here as we are not shipping enough products back the other way to justify using/sending them. This means empty containers are in the wrong place and the market cost of using them has gone into an auction type situation where e.g. a container that previously cost £4k to use is now costing upwards of £14k!

This is not just restricted to Europe. My brother in law has an engineering business in the Midlands, he is having tremendous difficulty obtaining raw materials from everywhere at the moment. He mentioned that a container that previously cost £2k to get out of China is now costing 20+.

My cheapo expression pedal was out of stock. I paid in full, not being in a rush, but have had an email every few days with changed dates and last week an apology, an explanation as per the op on stuff just getting stuck in transit, and no idea when it will arrive. Not the retailers fault.

EDIT: political remark removed by Rich

Edited by Rich