Why become a member? ×

Help me arrange my pedals!

hartgeh28e30

Hi, I know theres no text book method but how would you arrange these effects? At present I have them in this order, would you recommend any alterations and perhaps any reasons why? I'm still a newb in the world of effects but I find them fascinating (as you can probably tell!)

Sonic research tuner 

Boss syb-5 synth

Digitech whammy

Dunlop mini wah

Mxr octave deluxe

Mxr envelope filter

Mxr bass compressor

EH Green russian fuzz

Darkglass B3K overdrive

Mxr chorus deluxe

Mxr carbon copy delay

Darkglass alpha omega ultra preamp

Many thanks!

With your set up I'd probably go  Tuner>Octave>Filter>Synth>Whammy>Overdrive>Fuzz>Wah>Chorus>Delay. If you are using the Alpha Omega as a DI I'd put it last, but I'd move it nearer the front if it's being used as just a preamp. The compressor could either go first after the tuner or last before the DI, depending whether you want to balance your signal before hitting the effects or use it as a limiter to stop any spikes from using multiple effects at once.

I only suggest that order because I've found that after playing around with a lot of pedals on a lot of gigs, that would give me the sound that I want. Really it's about what works for you. Move them around and see how the pedals react to each other. You can get some really different sounds just by swapping the order of a couple of pedals.

• Like 3

Wise words from @Doddy. There are standard practices but really its about playing around and seeing what sounds you can get and want to keep. Two YT channels you should check out are That Pedal Show and The JHS Show. They're aimed at guitar players but pretty much everything they talk about is transferable to bass.

One idea worth playing around with, put your filter after your delay. It means that each repeat triggers the envelope a little, which sounds pretty cool.

Have fun!

• Like 1

@Doddy nailed it.

With that many pedals I'd start considering something like the Boss ES-5 to turn multiple ones on/off at once, and to re-route them. Or a cheaper option is the Brightonion dual reverse lopper.... which I just so happen to be selling in the sales section ;)

• Like 1