Why become a member? ×

A Review of The Players School of Music, Part 2

funkle

Renting a room in a house I found on craigslist - $700 pcm. Very nice place. Could have gone cheaper, but paid more for the privacy and quality. If you are going to go, get a place in Safety Harbor, not Clearwater.

Funkle, I have been saving for PSOM and *almost* have enough to attend for a year so I'm very excited. I had found your earlier review a while back and found it to be very helpful and inspiring and this one is just a great follow-up. So thanks!

I'm wondering why you recommend getting a place in Safety Harbor instead of Clearwater. Moving there for a year (or a little longer, with luck) is a big step so whatever you can tell me about Clearwater vs. Safety Harbor would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again!
Matt

Clearwater is ok, but since most people end up staying in Safety Harbor, all your mates will be nearer to you. It makes a difference! Also, Clearwater is huge and widely spread out - if you took a room near the beach, for instance, your morning commute could be a great deal longer than you would think by purely looking at the miles involved - traffic is significant in Clearwater.

We'd often go out for drinks in Clearwater, esp as Safety Harbor is so small. But it's a very 'comfy' place to stay.

Pete

[quote name='octinomos' post='449159' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:34 AM']Renting a room in a house I found on craigslist - $700 pcm. Very nice place. Could have gone cheaper, but paid more for the privacy and quality. If you are going to go, get a place in Safety Harbor, not Clearwater.

Funkle, I have been saving for PSOM and *almost* have enough to attend for a year so I'm very excited. I had found your earlier review a while back and found it to be very helpful and inspiring and this one is just a great follow-up. So thanks!

I'm wondering why you recommend getting a place in Safety Harbor instead of Clearwater. Moving there for a year (or a little longer, with luck) is a big step so whatever you can tell me about Clearwater vs. Safety Harbor would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again!
Matt[/quote]

• 1 year later...

[quote name='funkle' post='449789' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:09 PM']Jeff Berlin has contacted me about coming on to the boards here for a moderated chat, like he has done over on Talkbass. Would people be interested in this?

Pete[/quote]

I'm sure such an opportunity would be greatly welcomed. The Talkbass chats were fantastic, I'm a huge fan of Jeff's music so just getting to say hi was awesome!

Looks like somebody bumped my old review. :)

Looks to me like Jeff is pretty busy on Talkbass these days. Not sure if he'd have the time to make it over here too.

As to his views on metronomes - well, hit Talkbass and have a look-see for details, but essentially he believes you can learn music very well without ever using one. I'm a convert, and doing pretty well....

Edited by funkle

[quote name='jakesbass' post='804638' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:24 AM']I definitely would like to hear from Jeff here.[/quote]
I'll second that .

I don't agree with everything he says , don't much go a lot on his music , but he says it as he means it (like AJ) , and I like that .

Also , he seems , how shall we say this , a more 'robust' person and fight his corner , and isn't likely to flounce off like the other pro's that came on .