Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette style builds

Jimothey

I've started this build but this one is probably going to be a long one as I need to source a 5 string neck and the missus has put an embargo on buying any more bits as she reckons I've got enough basses!?! (So if anyone's got an old neck they want to donate then she cant whinge at me as I haven't spent any money!! 😂

This is the top I'm going to use I think its either Meranti or Red Grandis that I've black grain filled and then sanded back slightly then danish oiled

_20210129_111022.thumb.JPG.b5a4bfb92946b3dbc6264da149bdc09d.JPG

The back is going to be pine as I want a nice contrast between the top and the back....... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

I quite like the look of hammered pine (for want of a better term).

You see it on well worn pine dining tables that have been waxed regularly and where the soft wood between the harder, more dense, rings has settled to leave tactile ridges.  With such a regular grain as yours I think it would look and feel good.

I suppose it's a nod towards relicing but it could be applied as a new finish in the same way that you can hammer copper sheet to achieve a textured surface.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I quite like the look of hammered pine (for want of a better term).

You see it on well worn pine dining tables that have been waxed regularly and where the soft wood between the harder, more dense, rings has settled to leave tactile ridges.  With such a regular grain as yours I think it would look and feel good.

I suppose it's a nod towards relicing but it could be applied as a new finish in the same way that you can hammer copper sheet to achieve a textured surface.

I know what you mean, ots not as far as barncaster rusticesque but I think it just gives it a little something but to touch its completely flat and smooth as I attacked it with a stiff wire brush to get the grooves then painted it black then sanded back to take the high spots off leaving the painted grooves flush with the top......... 👍🏻 

• Like 2

I'm slightly rethinking this build I'm struggling to find a 5 string neck in my budget so I'm probably going to make this a 4 string instead, 

Also I'm thinking of changing the pickup config aswell to a Thumb style with the bridge pickup angled and the neck straight??......👍🏻 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I'm slightly rethinking this build I'm struggling to find a 5 string neck in my budget so I'm probably going to make this a 4 string instead, 

Also I'm thinking of changing the pickup config aswell to a Thumb style with the bridge pickup angled and the neck straight??......👍🏻 

Oh and it's now a viola...

Heeheehee

• Haha 1

Are you doing it for the sound or for the appearance?  I imagine the bridge sound will be thinner on the heavier strings and the blend with the neck pickup will allow you to taper off the bottom end or thicken it up before you even touch the tone controls.

I'm wondering if the blend works a bit like a midrange sweep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Are you doing it for the sound or for the appearance?  I imagine the bridge sound will be thinner on the heavier strings and the blend with the neck pickup will allow you to taper off the bottom end or thicken it up before you even touch the tone controls.

I'm wondering if the blend works a bit like a midrange sweep.

To be honest I've never heard a Thumb with the angled bridge pickup in the flesh so I can't really comment about the difference it will make to the sound but on a couple of videos they do sound different to a Corvette so I thought why not give it a go!! and also I like the look of it as well........👍🏻 

• Like 1

Clearly to check the effect of the angled pickup 'scientifically' you would need to do a V rout and an A / B comparison. 

But, on my less scientific measure of the sound of Jazz type basses with the angle and without, then yes - for the bridge pickup - it makes a tangible difference.  To my ear, the top G on many basses is noticably more trebly than the other strings.  With this change, that effect goes away and sounds much more balaced across the strings.

On the other hand, the same angle on the neck pickup makes no tonal difference to my ear.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I modified a neck to use on this from a fender style headstock to an angled headstock, it is very secure with no movement as I used 2 x 2" long 8mm steel bar going through from the neck into the headstock and routed 2 timber strips into the back of the neck as well and I'm happy with the result just filling a few little gaps and then it'll be ready for painting Black but......... As it is only a 21 fret neck and the template for the body I use had be taken from a body with a 24 fret neck the neck pocket wont be long enough for my liking! so I'm trying to win a 24 fret Westfield neck off ebay at the moment as i didn't want to have to mess around with the body

I've decided that I'm going to make the 4 string p/j version and I'm going to extend the body under the neck pocket so I can use this neck its going to look something like this........ 

_20210211_163756.thumb.JPG.e8919deb1a37125456e6d5a0d90dfa09.JPG

The body is pine and I've just rough cut at the mo, it's going to be painted Satin Red with Black hardware....... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

I've just won this neck on Ebay so I'm going to reshape the headstock but its only a 22 fret so the neck pocket is still going to be too short so I think I'm going to remake the body with the body extending under the neck a bit..... 

_20210217_203221.thumb.JPG.504046211f93e980ed0fa342d02e28d1.JPG

I'm thinking of making the body out of Sapele so hopefully it will turn out a bit like this one

_20210217_203943.thumb.JPG.11344ca4f6e55b628a1e46c1201f5963.JPGi

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

New body is cut and sanded, I've given it a quick wipe of danish oil to see how the grain will look and after reading @Andyjr1515post re finishing to see if I've missed any sanding which I have on the lower horn!

_20210220_112301.thumb.JPG.b248a09b6a99a3e6ca799b7c0d88d41b.JPG

I think it will look good with the contrast of a maple fretboard?.......👍🏻 

I think it'll work just fine with a tinted or bright plain maple fb. I think it might look odd with a darker tinted or roasted maple, but I would need to see the shade to know. I would be shocked if you roasted the assembled neck, but there's a first time for everything :laugh1:

Personally I like the knot near the lower horn, adds a bit of extra character, but I know they've done wooden pickguards if you want more inspiration:

b7426054a2a916370f41892b56a98ee2.jpg&f=1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

New body is cut and sanded, I've given it a quick wipe of danish oil to see how the grain will look and after reading @Andyjr1515post re finishing to see if I've missed any sanding which I have on the lower horn!

_20210220_112301.thumb.JPG.b248a09b6a99a3e6ca799b7c0d88d41b.JPG

I think it will look good with the contrast of a maple fretboard?.......👍🏻 

That's some nice timber :)

Looks great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1