Why become a member? ×

Which way to have 5 string split P pickups

Jimothey

Hi all

I'm thinking about doing a 5 string Warwick corvette style with P/J config 

I've never played a 5 with that config so I am wondering how much difference does it make which way round you have the split coils? Which way is deemed best practice.... 👍🏻 

This way..... 

_20210127_195009.JPG.74fa665e85c631bb19d7e98390abd43c.JPG

Or this way..... 

_20210127_194842.thumb.JPG.9a95e981abcc48e3e58d8a702bb0b0ad.JPG

Split humbuckers on an instrument with an odd number of sting have always puzzled me.

Hopefully someone with scientific knowledge of how coils and magnets work together will explain, but it my understanding that both coils of a humbucker need to equal in impedance but wound in opposite directions for them to be hum cancelling. Also that the ratio of coil numbers to the strength of the magnetic field is important. 

So when one part of the humbucker covers more area than the other how does that work? If both parts have the same number of coils then the two parts are not the same impedance and won't be fully hum cancelling. If both parts have the same impedance then the larger half will have less coils and therefore produce a weaker signal. Neither option sounds like an idea situation.

Also on a standard side-by-side humbucker a single magnet is used arranged so that the N pole contacts with the pole pieces for one coil and the S pole the others. One a P-style split humbucker there are separate magnets for each coil. How do we know that the magnetic fields for each are equal?

Edited by BigRedX