Why become a member? ×

What do these numbers mean?

ped

The ones on the left (Bad,Normal,High quality) I think show the quality of the power source. It always says high quality. Maybe it refers to the skill of the player ;0)

The next lights I am not sure about. The -15 lights up green when the amp is played at moderate volume. The lights dance upwards when I play but at pretty high volume the lights up to only -9. What do the numbers mean?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='439680' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:28 PM']The ones on the left (Bad,Normal,High quality) I think show the quality of the power source. It always says high quality. Maybe it refers to the skill of the player ;0)[/quote]

As a Doctor of Ampology, I can confirm that you are quite correct.

[quote]The next lights I am not sure about. The -15 lights up green when the amp is played at moderate volume. The lights dance upwards when I play but at pretty high volume the lights up to only -9. What do the numbers mean?

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Decibels above or below some arbitrary power outut level. +6 is the notorious '11', 0 is probably the rated power of the amp. If you don't go above -9 you're not trying hard enough. Get another guitarist, and give the drummer some bigger sticks ;-)

No idea mate! I got it for £90. It's 800w (400w stereo), digital, weighs nothing and is totally silent. I bought it from a chap on eBay... actually come to think of it, the make is 'Starsound' I think but I can't find a manual or anything. The seller used it for a long time so maybe it is quite old.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='439784' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:54 PM']No idea mate! I got it for £90. It's 800w (400w stereo), digital, weighs nothing and is totally silent. I bought it from a chap on eBay... actually come to think of it, the make is 'Starsound' I think but I can't find a manual or anything. The seller used it for a long time so maybe it is quite old.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

The 3 most furthest are probably just gain inidcators with Maplins-style patronising lettering. High quality means good incoming signal level. The rest are db meters, with 0db being the full 400W output per side. If it's less than that and loud enough for your needs, it means you've got headroom to spare which is a good thing.