Why become a member? ×

Does this exist for monitoring?

la bam

Hi all,

Our band is very loud. So I've decided to go IEM. I have the basschat classic P2 and zs10 pro.

We play all over the place, so dont have the same sound people all the time, but I would like consistency over our monitoring, so I wondered if this existed....

When I used the RCF M18 it had the ability to let everyone via their own smartphone have full control over the monitor mix, without interfering with the sound guys mix (phones are just locked on monitor 1, 2 ,3 etc).

Now, we cant use the M18 on our travels, as it relies on the sound guy knowing how to use it, so is there any way theres a magic xlr loaded box that will allow us to plug our xlrs (mics and Dis) into it, then send an out for each xlr to something like the M18 AND a send for each xlr to the sound guy.

Then we would be able to control our stage sound or IEMs and leave the foh sound to the sound guy and his gear.

52 minutes ago, la bam said:

Perfect!

Is there any manual mixers that would allow us to take six individual unique mixes from that?

Why would you want to go to an analogue mixer? Plug everything into the splitter. Main split goes to FOH, secondary split goes to your M18 and it's business as normal?

If you want an analogue mixer, you need something that has 6 aux sends - the only small mixer that springs to mind is the Allen and Heath Mixwizard range - and you'd  have to set the jumpers so you have 6 prefader auxes. Interestingly enough, the mix wizard mixers have a direct out, so would remove the need for a splitter - but it's worth noting that the preamps would then not be under the control of the FOH, which may not make you popular. A Mixwizard is a lot bigger than a M18.

Heres some more splitters to throw into the mix -

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/micsplit.htm

https://artproaudio.com/product/s8-3way-eight-channel-three-way-mic-splitter/

https://www.studiospares.com/8-channel-mic-splitter-studiospares-red800-458950.htm

- whatever splitter you get, make sure that it is isolated - meaning that two desks can't send phantom to each other.

Edited by EBS_freak

4 minutes ago, la bam said:

Cheers, I had sold the M18, so just wondered if there was a cheaper alternative. If not, the m18 looks a good option.

I'd normally say XR18 or M18 - M18 looks a bit cheaper. Don't think you are going to get anything digital and all singing with 6 auxes for much less than £350.

Edited by EBS_freak