Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN Fender Jazz '76 - REDUCED TO £1400

lozbass

NOW REDUCED TO £1400

LIMITED TIME OFFER - TO BE WITHDRAWN ON 7TH APRIL

For Sale - Fender Jazz '76 - natural ash with maple board and blocks

Major sell-off - clearing all long-scale basses (pretty much) - I'm only playing short(er) scales

This is a really cool vintage Jazz: the bass was imported from New York around six years ago - it's been around and shows some playwear but nothing nasty. It's a gorgeous player with tons of honk and growl or a more mellow, bassy tone at the neck pickup (it's fairly typical of a very good mid '70s Jazz). The bass is all original apart from a replacement nut (a very high-quality and professional job - the new nut is extremely well-cut and beautifully seated) and a replacement thumb-rest. The strap toggles and screws in the scratchplate have also been changed (the former for straplok ready) but I have the originals and will include them. The original ashtrays are long gone but the bass comes with its original hard case (in good condition for 33 years old).

The finish is down to the primer in a few patches on the body but the finish in general isn't bad. There's a fair bit of wear in the usual places and it looks like a previous owner used a pick fairly vigorously. The poly finish is fairly thick and yellowed on the front and back of the body - with the wear the bass looks really cool. The chrome-work is original and in excellent condition. It's a fantastic player with a great sound - the pickups are very strong (I had resistance tested during set-up but can't remember the values off-hand - I have them in an email somewhere if required). The bass is heavy but extremely resonant and sounds great unplugged.

Everything appears to check out - the green neck stamp is faded but reads (from memory) is 02 03 -1 6 * (last number indistinct). Pots are from 4th month '76. The date on the neck pickup is unreadable (usual sticky black coating with age), but the bridge pickup dates to '75. The serial is 69**** on the 3 bolt neck plate. The bass appears to have been assembled and finished in early '76 and displays typical features of the period, TV logo etc. (rather than the features that were introduced in the mid to late '76)

Set up (beautifully) by Steve Robinson at ManchesterGuitar Tech - strung with d'Addario nickels - action is low, playability fantastic and tone is pure and classic mid '70s Jazz.

Selling price is £1400 firm (REDUCED from £1450 for limited period only)

I'm selling a lot of basses but have little time to put into marketing etc. All basses advertised will go on consignment sale in the next week or two. I wanted to put them up on here first to let BCers have a first chance (at a reduced price). Pricing reflects what I'd expect to realise post-brokerage fee (with a reduction for fellow forumites). Collection from central Manchester or professional packaging and carriage (around £80 extra). I will send overseas but charges will be higher. I'll try to answer emails or can talk by 'phone. I'm afraid that I have very little time due to pressure of work (hence consignment sales will start rapidly unless there's quick interest here) - telephone contact is preferable to PMs but a PM to start things rolling is good. Price is firm.

Please see other ads: Fender Masterbuilt Jazz fretless; Sei Jazz 5; and, Sei Jazz 4

Cheers, Lozbass

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='439196' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:20 PM']For Sale - Fender Jazz '76 - natural ash with maple board and blocks

Major sell-off - clearing all long-scale basses (pretty much) - I only play short(er) scale

This is a really cool vintage Jazz from what is becoming a much sought-after period. The bass was imported from New York around six years ago - it's been around and shows some playwear but nothing nasty. It's a gorgeous player with tons of honk and growl or a more mellow, bassy tone at the neck pickup (it's fairly typical of a very good mid '70s Jazz). The bass is all original apart from a replacement nut (a very high-quality and professional job - the new nut is extremely well-cut and beautifully seated) and a replacement thumb-rest. The strap toggles and screws in the scratchplate have also been changed (the former for straplok ready) but I have the originals and will include them. The original ashtrays are long gone but the bass comes with its original hard case (in good condition for 33 years old).

Some of the finish is down to the primer in places but the finish in general isn't bad. There's a fair bit of wear in the usual places and it looks like a previous owner used a pick fairly vigorously. The poly finish is fairly thick and yellowed on the front and back of the body - with the wear the bass looks really cool. The chrome-work is original and in excellent condition. It's a fantastic player with a great sound - the pickups are very strong (I had resistance tested during set-up but can't remember the values off-hand - I have them in an email somewhere if required). The bass is heavy but extremely resonant and sounds great unplugged.

Set up by Steve Robinson at ManchesterGuitar Tech - strung with d'Addario nickels - action is low, playability fantastic and tone is pure mid '70s Jazz (lots of honk and growl).

Selling price is £1450 firm

I'm selling a lot of basses but have little time to put into marketing etc. All basses advertised will go on consignment sale in the next week or two. I wanted to put them up on here first to let BCers have a first chance (at a reduced price). Pricing reflects what I'd expect to realise post-brokerage fee (with a reduction for fellow forumites). Collection from central Manchester or professional packaging and carriage (around £80 extra). I will send overseas but charges will be higher. I'll try to answer emails or can talk by 'phone. I'm afraid that I have very little time due to pressure of work (hence consignment sales will start rapidly unless there's quick interest here) - telephone contact is preferable to PMs but a PM to start things rolling is good. Price is firm.

Cheers, Lozbass[/quote]

REally really nice, good luck and a good price for a classic like this one.

[quote name='lozbass' post='440592' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:01 PM']Go on, treat yerself!

I'd love one from mine but that'd be first year of production (thus a tad expensive!)[/quote]

Vintage (meaning overprice for what it should be) are not my things ...
(if it was at the price of a used jazz, why not ... but even in this case, I'm not sure it could be mine.)
So I let it for another one ... :)