Why become a member? ×

Defretting My ibanez

KERMITNT

Hi Guys
I am thinking of defretting my SR 1000 Japan made Bass 1988 I Got with Seymour Duncan active Eq Pickups (the ones with the little buttons) and ebony fretboard. The preamp is a Bartolini one don’t remember the model. I think that ebony fretboard is ideal for fretless and at the moment I am not using it and I prefer playing my stingray is a good time to do it..
So what you think?

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='439198' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:21 PM']i am afraid if i cant play fretless and the tone if is not right with those pickups :)[/quote]

That’s a bullet you’re gonna have to bite :rolleyes:

I’d go for it mate. You don’t use the bass anyway…

I wouldn't before you check how much you might get for selling the Ibanez as is and then picking up a Squier VM fretless Jazz or something. If the fretless thing doesn't work out then you'd probably manage to get most of your money back on the Squier (especially if you bought it second hand in the first place) and then you're not much out of pocket.

Otherwise you could be left with a bass which you've just ruined the intrinsic value of by ripping the frets out.

It's just a thought. If you're resigned to losing the Ibanez anyway and the value aspect doesn't concern you then go for it.

Having said that, you could be a fretless wizard and have a the benefit of being fretless on a bass you're already well familiar with.

Your call...

[quote name='neepheid' post='439263' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:16 PM']I wouldn't before you check how much you might get for selling the Ibanez as is and then picking up a Squier VM fretless Jazz or something. If the fretless thing doesn't work out then you'd probably manage to get most of your money back on the Squier (especially if you bought it second hand in the first place) and then you're not much out of pocket.

Otherwise you could be left with a bass which you've just ruined the intrinsic value of by ripping the frets out.[/quote]
+1

A 1993 SR1000 went for £300 recently on eBay (see [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110358168512&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D%2B110358168512%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1"]here[/url]). That could get you a brand new VMJ fretless and a very heavy night out.

Very bad idea.

A fretless SR1000 in neon blue is not a saleable proposition - no fretless player will want it, and neither will anyone who would like to own the original bass.

Do it to a cheapo Squier or just get a VMJ Squier fretless.