Why become a member? ×

Has anyone built a Cliff Burton Rickenbacker clone?

LouieM

I wouldn't start with a cheap copy if you're going to sink some money into this, I'd start with either a 70's/80's Jap copy - eBay let many more slip through these days than used to be the case - or buy one of the genuine Ric bodies that eBay seller gibsondependable sell, which I did a few years back for around £400 although prices recently have gone through the roof, probably a lot of projects being started during Covid 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker-2002-Fireglo-4003-Bass-Body-amp-Neck-/203078075038?hash=item2f4865829e%3Ag%3AcFYAAOSw~ANfOBaG&nma=true&si=n6t8NiO1TPGO9NALNPlHoLsjI%2Bw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

I wouldn't start with a cheap copy if you're going to sink some money into this, I'd start with either a 70's/80's Jap copy - eBay let many more slip through these days than used to be the case - or buy one of the genuine Ric bodies that eBay seller gibsondependable sell, which I did a few years back for around £400 although prices recently have gone through the roof, probably a lot of projects being started during Covid 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker-2002-Fireglo-4003-Bass-Body-amp-Neck-/203078075038?hash=item2f4865829e%3Ag%3AcFYAAOSw~ANfOBaG&nma=true&si=n6t8NiO1TPGO9NALNPlHoLsjI%2Bw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank you for this, I'll look into one of the Japanese copies

Edited by LouieM

Do keep in mind that area where the mudbucker goes is pretty vital for the neck's stability. There have been several cases where the neck started bowing forward after rerouting the neck pickup cavity (although those I've seen were 4000's, that don't come stock with a neck pickup). Make sure the model you use is suitable for the mod, and that you don't route the cavity too close to the end of the fingerboard. 

Edited by LeftyJ