Why become a member? ×

Optimum cabinet dimensions

Pookus

It optimises into a vented box of 107 litres, which is enormous for a 1x12. I'd personally put it in a box of about 55 litres tuned to 60 Hz, which gives an f3 of 57 Hz and a slight hump in the 70-150 Hz range for a bit of low mid punch.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='436956' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:09 AM']It optimises into a vented box of 107 litres, which is enormous for a 1x12. I'd personally put it in a box of about 55 litres tuned to 60 Hz, which gives an f3 of 57 Hz and a slight hump in the 70-150 Hz range for a bit of low mid punch.

A[/quote]

As long as the dimensions add up to 55 litres does it matter how wide / high / deep the cab is? Thanks :)

[quote name='Pookus' post='436968' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:19 AM']As long as the dimensions add up to 55 litres does it matter how wide / high / deep the cab is? Thanks :)[/quote]

No hi-fi nut would ever build a loudspeaker with 2 internal dimensions the same. So no cubes. Try (external) width the same as a rack-case, with internals at 52cm high x 24cm deep. That will give a slight excess over 55litres and allow for bracing etc.

Good luck.

Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='437211' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:24 PM']No hi-fi nut would ever build a loudspeaker with 2 internal dimensions the same. So no cubes. Try (external) width the same as a rack-case, with internals at 52cm high x 24cm deep. That will give a slight excess over 55litres and allow for bracing etc.

Good luck.

Balcro[/quote]

Very useful thanks :)

[quote name='Alien' post='436956' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:09 AM']I'd personally put it in a box of about 55 litres tuned to 60 Hz, which gives an f3 of 57 Hz and a slight hump in the 70-150 Hz range for a bit of low mid punch.[/quote]
55 litres will work, but I'd prefer to tune the box to 45 Hz rather than 60Hz to improve power handling. Use 2 x 70mm ports, each 125mm long. Or to tune to 60Hz use 35mm long ports.

I haven't got round to modelling it but as Qts is high you should be able to tune it low as Stevie suggests to prevent over-excursion below the tuning frequency without losing bass sensitivity. It's certainly a far better driver than the comically misapplied Orange label 'bass' models which have hardly any Xmax and really high Fs - weird!

Alex

[quote name='stevie' post='437537' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:56 PM']55 litres will work, but I'd prefer to tune the box to 45 Hz rather than 60Hz to improve power handling. Use 2 x 70mm ports, each 125mm long. Or to tune to 60Hz use 35mm long ports.[/quote]

I was going to ask about ports. Do I just cut some holes out and stick in a couple of 70mm x 125mm tubes? Or is there more to it?

[quote name='Pookus' post='437686' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:05 PM']I was going to ask about ports. Do I just cut some holes out and stick in a couple of 70mm x 125mm tubes? Or is there more to it?[/quote]
It depends on how good your woodworking skills are, but yes, that's basically it. Even some professionally built cabs use plastic drainpipe (black's best). Special speaker ports with a flare inside and out and a lip to finish the hole off are my preferred type.