Why become a member? ×

Headstock modification and change

Guest WilliamV

Guest WilliamV

Hello,

I have a four string Fender style (cheapish) neck that I am altering. Instead of four along the top -E-A-D-G-, I want to make it three -E-A-D- along the top and one -G- under. I have already doweled the existing -G- tuner hole in preparation for reshaping the upper part of the headstock and resized/enlarged the -E-A-D- holes to fit the new machines. My question is: How do I go about locating and positioning the lower machine head? Where does it go? If it is of any matter; I have de-fretted,  filled and sanded the fretboard smooth to make it fretless.

Edited by WilliamV

Ideally, you should ensure the string runs straight over the nut to the tuner post and doesn't bend at the nut. For the sake of strength, avoid placing it too close to any of the tuners on the top of the headstock. If it's Fender style, Fender basses are common. Might it be worth visiting a shop, looking at a Fender 5 (which has the standard 4 on one side and the additional tuner located on the lower side of the headstock) to see how they place it and making a few sketches and measurements?

Guest WilliamV
3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Maybe It would be possible to calculate from this or try and search for 5 string template for the extra tuner  🙂

Thanks. I had thought of that but was thinking that it would be in a bit different location due to it being a 5 string. But it should get it relatively close and close enough to be suitable without too much misalignment or none or at all.

Thanks again.

Guest WilliamV
3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Ideally, you should ensure the string runs straight over the nut to the tuner post and doesn't bend at the nut. For the sake of strength, avoid placing it too close to any of the tuners on the top of the headstock. If it's Fender style, Fender basses are common. Might it be worth visiting a shop, looking at a Fender 5 (which has the standard 4 on one side and the additional tuner located on the lower side of the headstock) to see how they place it and making a few sketches and measurements?

Thanks. That's a good tip about placement closeness and strength. Going to try to find a scale template of a 5 string Fender to see how it matches up to the neck I have.

Thanks again.

Guest WilliamV
7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just noticed it’s your first post, welcome WilliamV 👍

Thanks. I had been lurking on here for a while. Then in my ventures of bass building, restorations and modifications, I came across something that I wasn't sure of and could find nothing via google searching, so I joined and asked about it.

But it would be a little higher as its the 4th string... not a 5th...

Between the E and A holes (stop sniggering at the back!) looks bang on... ala MM Stingray..

But looking agin at a P Headstock, maybe between the A hole (Stop it, you have been warned once...) and the D...

Did you need to dowl the old G? - would reprofiling not just take you to edge of the hole...

Check the back for machine head fit, and you can often turn the petal bar round in the bracket to turn the peg the other way

What shape ya going for? - pics please...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Guest WilliamV
1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

But it would be a little higher as its the 4th string... not a 5th...

Between the E and A holes (stop sniggering at the back!) looks bang on... ala MM Stingray..

But looking agin at a P Headstock, maybe between the A hole (Stop it, you have been warned once...) and the D...

Did you need to dowl the old G? - would reprofiling not just take you to edge of the hole...

Check the back for machine head fit, and you can often turn the petal bar round in the bracket to turn the peg the other way

What shape ya going for? - pics please...

Thanks. All taken on board. Doweled the G hole because the reprofiling will be close to or through it depending on what style I go for. Yes, the Stingray headstock look was what I am going for. Thought it may be a radical look on a Bronco / Musicmaster style body. Yep. Knew that about turning the peg around. No pics yet but will when completed.

A hole... :D

Edited by WilliamV

The rake of the top edge of the Stingray headstock is a few degrees steeper than that of a Fender headstock. The shallower Fender rake makes it harder, to port the Stingray shape over. Plus, the area where the lower single tuner gear goes on the Ray is a bit further aft, towards the nut.

I have tried to square this circle on my current build!

You can see from the photo below how the shapes fit each other.

IMG_0036.jpeg

Guest WilliamV
On 28/09/2020 at 18:20, songofthewind said:

The shallower Fender rake makes it harder, to port the Stingray shape over.

I am just going to get the placement of the G hole, drill it and then just go with whatever strikes me as the most unusual shape. Maybe just to a point at the top with a teardrop shape similar to Geddy Lee's modified / sculpted PJB. Who knows... :sorry:

Teardrop Bass.jpg

Edited by WilliamV