Why become a member? ×

Mighty Mite neck & SX Jazz body

Mr.T

[quote name='Mr.T' post='435838' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:01 AM']I have heard good things about Mighty Mite necks and would like to fit one to a SX 'Jazz' body.
Has anyone out there done this?
Will it fit straight in?[/quote]

I can measure mine for you if you like? I've not fitted it yet...

[quote name='Mr.T' post='436101' date='Mar 16 2009, 02:01 PM']Thanks, what body are you planning on fitting it to?[/quote]

A custom made body that will be routed specifically for the Mighty Mite neck. This has been an ongoing project for about 4 or 5 months now but hasn’t made any progress at all in 2009 due to issues getting the thing routed - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32620&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32620&hl=[/url]

These measurements are of the squared heal (terminology?) of the neck which runs from approx the 15th to 20th fret:

64mm wide and 25mm deep @ 20th fret
60mm wide and 24mm deep @ 15th fret

[quote name='Mr.T' post='436907' date='Mar 17 2009, 09:15 AM']Thanks...... Seems like it should fit.

I assume you must be happy with the quality of the neck to have a body custom built?[/quote]

Yeah it seems like a great neck for the money, but obviously I’ve not been able to play it yet. It’s got the classically thin Jazz neck dimensions, and it looks like they’ve used a nice cut of wood for mine. I’ll need to spend a little bit of time rounding off the ends of some of the frets as a couple are a bit sharp where it’s been finished quickly in the factory. It’s great value for money though – I got mine through an eBay seller who shipped it over here from the US for a total cost of about £75. It’s pretty much exactly the same as what you’d pay allparts £150 for - [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/replacement-neck-bass-solid-maple-finish-p-1990.html?p=product"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/replacement-nec....html?p=product[/url]

I bought my body before I bought the neck. I started this project as a kind of accident and then have just accumulated the parts when they’ve come up for cheap on the forum. All I’ve got left to get are some machine heads and a few bolts and screws that I’ll probably end up ordering from axesrus. The only thing stopping me making any progress at the moment is not being able to get the body routed…

The MM necks certainly look like a good deal and would be even cheaper if the GBP hadn't gone down the toilet!
The g**tarist in my band plays a MM necked Strat that he built himself.... and loves it.
(He also has two Fenders, but now always uses the 'Custom').

I really like the Mighty Mite stuff. I built a strat for my son with an MM body and neck. He now plays it more than his Fender deluxe strat. I am currently building a Precision for my other son. I am using a new MM neck (ebay £80) which is being fitted to a nice Squier body from 1979. On first investigation I don't foresee any problems in getting the two to fit pretty well. All the best with your build!

• 6 months later...

[quote name='erisu' post='627120' date='Oct 15 2009, 05:21 PM']So can anyone confirm if a Mighty Mite neck can fit on an SX jazz body?

Thanks[/quote]

Hi,

It turned out that the body wasn't an SX.

I have since built three basses using MightyMite necks, the Jazz, a Fender Jap Precision and an Allparts bodied Precision.
I didn't have any issues with fitting the necks and can confirm that (IMO) they are pretty good.

They do need the nuts cut (unless you like a very high action).
The fretwork is nice and level and just needs a quick polish.

At £75, it's worth a try?

Thanks for the replies!

Warmoth body with a mighty mite neck sounds yummy I must say! Can anyone confirm where Mighty Mite necks are made? I actually owned an SX bass a few years ago... the neck was horrible though so I guess I received a lemon? So if I would have the same story in future, I'd love to change the neck and perhaps put my own custom decal on a MM neck :)

[quote name='erisu' post='627600' date='Oct 16 2009, 09:50 AM']Thanks for the replies!

Warmoth body with a mighty mite neck sounds yummy I must say! Can anyone confirm where Mighty Mite necks are made? I actually owned an SX bass a few years ago... the neck was horrible though so I guess I received a lemon? So if I would have the same story in future, I'd love to change the neck and perhaps put my own custom decal on a MM neck :)[/quote]

The MM necks are made in 'The East' from Canadian maple (IIRC).