Why become a member? ×

8x10 speaker impedances

Mr. Foxen

I'm sure there was a thread with a chart, but didn't spot it in the wiki or from searches.

Question is, what impedance should the speakers in my 8x10 be? Didn't spot a number when I whipped one of them out, but I saw it was a Celestion BG10T-150, google came up with 16 ohm, but I'm not sure you can make a 4 ohm 8x10 out of that. Now leaning towards it actually being 8, and its at the practice space to I can't whip it out and meter it.

Meters dont usually read impedence cos it varies by frequency. Its a nominal value. As for whether you can make an 8x10 from 8 ohm speakers I cant be arsed to do the maths (or math as Bill would say) so you will have to do it yourself. There is a link to an impedence calculator somewhere on here.

The meter would give me close enough to figure if its 8 or 16, dc resistance is around 30% different, unless it is more complicated that my experience of metering all the speakers about the house to practice told me.

The calculator linked int the wiki does 2 3 and 4 speakers, and I don't have excel on this pc. Thinking of it as 2 4 speaker cabs, I don't think they can be 16s, but I might not be being creative enough with my wiring.

It is 4 ohm, and its 8s or 16s, my current thinking is they are 8s in parallell pairs of series pairs, then connected in paralell. Really, I want an 8 ohm cab anyway, since my valve head doesn't go down to 4 ohm, what I needed to know was what speakers are in it.

If my maths is correct a normal 4x10 with a total impedance of 8ohms has two pairs of 8 ohm speaker wired in series giving 16 ohms each pair
If these two pairs are then wired in PARALLEL the total impedance is back to 8 ohms

and
2 8 ohm cabs gives you a 4 o ohm load if wired in parrallel.

Edited by bumnote

This was a shared cab, looks like I'm buying the other half so I can do with it what I want, so will probably wire it to 16 ohm to match my head. Totally not comfortable mismatching either way, with vast amounts of contrary opinions from supposedly reliable sources.

[quote name='bumnote' post='436416' date='Mar 16 2009, 06:27 PM']If my maths is correct a normal 4x10 with a total impedance of 8ohms has two pairs of 8 ohm speaker wired in series giving 16 ohms each pair
If these two pairs are wired in series the total impedance is back to 8 ohms. [size=5]X[/size]

and
2 8 ohm cabs gives you a 4 o ohm load if wired in parrallel.[/quote]

Write out 100 times
If these two pairs are wired in PARALLEL the total impedance is back to 8 ohms
:)

[quote name='goingdownslow' post='436705' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:09 PM']Write out 100 times
If these two pairs are wired in PARALLEL the total impedance is back to 8 ohms
:)[/quote]

I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock
I am a pillock