Why become a member? ×

Soul Music from Leipzig

alfred

Hello from Leipzig,

I will do a little promotion for my textbook here, it is already getting good response in Germany and I am sure there are bass players in the UK, too that are interested in a collection of Patterns inspired by Northern Soul, R'n'B and Motown🙂

Viele Grüße

Alfred

https://en.alfredkallfass.de/buch

Soul Essentials Front.png

Edited by alfred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alfred said:

...a collection of Patterns inspired by Northern Soul, R'n'B and Motown...

Book ordered, we'll see what I can make of it when it arrives. Paypal supply the billing and shipping address (I hope..!).

It may be a Good Idea to contact the Site Admin (by PM to Ped...), to make sure that it's OK to promote your book..?

@ped

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

... is it notation only, or are there tab lines also? ...

There's a sample page on the web site; there's no tab in there at all. In fact, the whole idea is to be able to progressively improve one's reading, as there are lines for everyone, from 'just starting to read' to fairly complex. If there's any interest at all in wanting to improve, I'd say it's a great resource. If one can only 'read' tab, maybe it's a way out of that..? B|
Hope this helps.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's a sample page on the web site; there's no tab in there at all. In fact, the whole idea is to be able to progressively improve one's reading, as there are lines for everyone, from 'just starting to read' to fairly complex. If there's any interest at all in wanting to improve, I'd say it's a great resource. If one can only 'read' tab, maybe it's a way out of that..? B|
Hope this helps.

Thanks Dad, not really interested so much in learning to read notation on bass as much as playing some interesting new bass lines easily (I can read notation on fiddle and mandolin, just never took the time to learn it on bass, I found it not quite as transferable as I'd anticipated, largely due to the differences in interval between strings I think). Might take a punt on the book anyway :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Hi Alfred, welcome, your book looks great, is it notation only, or are there tab lines also? I can read music (just) but find tab a whole lot easier with bass! Good luck. Chris

Hi Beedster, thank you for your interest in my book. I decided to not put TAB in there because of the sight reading approach. I do think TAB is fine for some applications but from a professional view I would always recommend to improve reading regular notation as well. So no TAB this time but maybe in another book of the series, who knows? I already have got some ideas...

2 hours ago, alfred said:

Hi Beedster, thank you for your interest in my book. I decided to not put TAB in there because of the sight reading approach. I do think TAB is fine for some applications but from a professional view I would always recommend to improve reading regular notation as well. So no TAB this time but maybe in another book of the series, who knows? I already have got some ideas...

I think the best way to learn notation is to have tab and notation on the same page? Possibly an idea for the next edition? Welcome either way :)

• Like 1

I received Alfred's book this morning, and it's looking good, or even Very Good. It came in a hand-addressed plain envelope, very swiftly (from Germany...). Beware: the 'free shipping' applies only to those in Germany; I had to top up the sum for postage (to France...). Maybe Alfred could update his posts to indicate this..?
The A4-sized book itself is very clearly laid out, well printed on quality paper, and so should withstand quite a lot of thumbing. And thumbing these pages is what it's all about. 500 bass lines, mostly just a few bars, but many longer parts, in all keys and all degrees of complexity. They are not graded progressively, which I found interesting as a concept for a beginner such as I, as it obliges one to hunt through for a 'simpler' piece, with a 'surprise' element when one pops out of the page. The first 'C' parts, for instance, with no sharps or flats, occur at 40 and 41. A heavy leaning towards 4/4 time signature, with a dusting of 12/8 or 6/8 and a couple only of 3/4, with a lonely 7/4 and 5/4. As a drummer, I would have expected a bit more 'swung' 3/4 (I suppose the 12/8 pieces could be played as such...), but that's maybe because I'm old..! There is one (497...) 6/8-3/8 (4 flats...) to spice things up, followed on the same page (499...) by a straight-forward riff in 'C'. Chords are noted for all bars of every piece, which help in 'hearing' what's going on; one could even generate a backing track to play along to (although, as the raison d'être is to improve reading, that's just a bonus...). All the pieces are musical, not simply 'made up' as dry exercises (no, I've not played 'em all, but it shows, just the same...).
Any criticism..? Not much; not much at all. As with many methods, I would always prefer a spiral, 'lay-flat'l binding, but I realise that this costs more, and, to be fair, this book is supple enough to lay pretty flat without that. Other than that, and the scarcity of more divers time signatures, I have no hesitation in awarding five stars, and offer thanks to Alfred for bringing the book to our attention. Well done, lad. 

R91KekF.gif

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1