Why become a member? ×

Where to rehearse in Nottingham area???

Deedee

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in and it's probably a very long shot but here goes.............

Our band has recently got back together and we are currently rehearsing in a pretty dodgy former skittle alley at the back of a pub in a town in north Nottingham. Not a great deal wrong with that and to be fair it does the job. However, we have a couple of issues.

1: The pub is always empty and it looks like closure is pretty imminent.

2: We all work full time and travel from far and wide be there. The loading and unloading of the vehicles from both home and at the place itself is really eating into our precious rehearsal time. Two of the guys in the band are tradesman so have to unload their work gear out of the vans at home, load on the kit etc then reverse the process when they get home.

I know this is an age old curse of being in a band but my question is can anybody recommend a rehearsal room in the Nottingham/North Nottingham area that can provide storage of equipment??

As I said, a bit of a long shot

Many thanks

[quote name='Deedee' post='427564' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:46 PM']Hi all

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in and it's probably a very long shot but here goes.............

Our band has recently got back together and we are currently rehearsing in a pretty dodgy former skittle alley at the back of a pub in a town in north Nottingham. Not a great deal wrong with that and to be fair it does the job. However, we have a couple of issues.

1: The pub is always empty and it looks like closure is pretty imminent.

2: We all work full time and travel from far and wide be there. The loading and unloading of the vehicles from both home and at the place itself is really eating into our precious rehearsal time. Two of the guys in the band are tradesman so have to unload their work gear out of the vans at home, load on the kit etc then reverse the process when they get home.

I know this is an age old curse of being in a band but my question is can anybody recommend a rehearsal room in the Nottingham/North Nottingham area that can provide storage of equipment??

As I said, a bit of a long shot

Many thanks[/quote]

Have a word with Instrutech in Mansfield. Very helpful bunch of blokes, all in bands themsleves. They're mainly drum / guitar tutors but do have rehearsal facilities.

Can't help you specifically but we recently had to give up our rehearsal space and thought we'd be up the swanny. We started asking around village halls and pavilions etc thinking we'd get the cold shoulder when we said we wanted band practice space but everyone was really helpful.

We now alternate between a village hall with a nice stage and a modern pavilion witha social room about 25' square. Both have easy access, heating, toilets and a kitchen for less than £10 an hour. We wondered why we used the other place which was freezing cold in winter and boiling hot in summer.

OK, you have to take all your own gear and we stop at 10pm but otherwise it's been quite easy.

You could go and have a look at the following and see if they meet your needs:

[url="http://www.magnetstudios.co.uk/"]Magnet[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/rubberbiscuitstudios"]Rubber Biscuit[/url]

[url="http://www.subwaystudios.com/"]Subway[/url]

[url="http://npbgroup.net"]The White Room[/url]

It's been a while since I last needed to use any of these facilities since my most recent bands have had their own spaces, but last time I was, Magnet were the best. However looking at the sites all of these facilities seem vastly improved since I was last there so you're probably best checking them out for yourselves.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='427626' date='Mar 6 2009, 10:08 PM']You could go and have a look at the following and see if they meet your needs:

[url="http://www.magnetstudios.co.uk/"]Magnet[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/rubberbiscuitstudios"]Rubber Biscuit[/url]

[url="http://www.subwaystudios.com/"]Subway[/url]

[url="http://npbgroup.net"]The White Room[/url]

It's been a while since I last needed to use any of these facilities since my most recent bands have had their own spaces, but last time I was, Magnet were the best. However looking at the sites all of these facilities seem vastly improved since I was last there so you're probably best checking them out for yourselves.[/quote]

Many thanks for your assistance chaps, I'll get looking :)

Cheers

[quote name='budget bassist' post='427690' date='Mar 6 2009, 11:46 PM']hi mate
You rehearsing in seven stars? That place has been going downhill for years
try searching google/myspace for stuck on a name studios, really good practice rooms in sneinton.[/quote]

How did you guess ????????????? :)

I'll give the other place a try.

Cheers

My last band used to rehearse at the seven stars as well, never seemed to be anyone in. That outbuilding is a miserable place in the winter. Upstairs was a bit better but meant lugging gear up the rickety fire escape. Used the White Rooms about 4 or 5 yrs ago and they were awful, damp and rubbish gear. Might have improved. The one round the corner from White Rooms was better but can't recall the name. At least you had decent gear for about £10 per hour so you wouldn't need to take your own and avoids the storage problem.

AFAIK they still are. They're mentioned on the link I posted. I have to admit that out of all the places I've used they were the least good, although looking at the web sites for the other facilities they all appear to have upped their game since I last used a commercial rehearsal room about 10 years ago. At that time Magnet were by far the best. Since then I've been lucky enough to be involved with bands that have access to their own (often considerably much nicer) spaces.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='427795' date='Mar 7 2009, 01:51 AM']Just a stab in the dark :) who do you play for? I might know you! Do you know nobbzey? I played bass in his last band before he left, corrupted fate.[/quote]

No it doesn't ring any bells. As I say we've only recently started rehearsing there again. The last time we played there regularly was about 5 or 6 years ago. Our band's called 'Roobarb' by the way.

Just a couple of wry observations:

1. The Seven Stars was in that sort of state 20 years ago. Cannot believe it is [b]still[/b] limping along!!

2. I'd avoid the White Rooms like the plague if I were you.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any others in Nottingham which would offer the kind of facilities you are looking for.

Leicester Yes, Nottingham No.

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='427883' date='Mar 7 2009, 10:31 AM']1. The Seven Stars was in that sort of state 20 years ago. Cannot believe it is [b]still[/b] limping along!![/quote]
It closed down about a year ago but it was bought out again, but i can't see it lasting long.

I did visit magnet once, i didn't go into their rehearsal rooms, but they did have some very impressive gear.