Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb Bass 4 Thru Neck '98 **SOLD**

vintage_ben

Hi All, new to this forum but it seems the place to be for this sort of thing.

All the usual spec for this year (don't feel compelled to read this bit!) Bubinga body, Wengé/Bubinga neck, Wengé fingerboard, 34" scale, 26 bell-brass frets, black hardware, Schaller/Warwick tuners, Schaller/Warwick two-piece black bridge, brass just-a-nut I (with individully adjustable strings grooves), MEC pickups, 3 bands active preamp with passive switch (push-pull). Good that was tiring....

Anyway, I've had this from new and things have moved on somewhat since then... so it's time to go. I look after my basses but this was a working bass for a couple of years so I wont pretend it's mint, but is in overall fine condition with the odd ding and a bit of genuine playing wear. Dunlop recessed straplocks and the original wax tin included + I can rustle up a case/gigbag as required.

I got it out a few weeks back and got my luthier friend to set it up. It plays perfectly all up the neck, as you'd expect I suppose.

I was hoping to get around £800 for this (I think it's worth it compared to what else you can get for that money), but I understand the market for these isn't exactly on fire at the moment so I'd invite sensible offers, as we'll see how it goes.

And finally.... just for a bit of a 'laugh' this is the last session I did using this bass , probably pushing 5 years ago now.... and yes they told me to overplay!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jar95HL3uL4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jar95HL3uL4[/url]
Maybe that'll temp you, or on second thoughts.....

Edited by vintage_ben

[quote name='vintage_ben' post='427542' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:18 PM']I look after my basses but this was a working bass for a couple of years so I wont pretend it's mint, but is in overall fine condition with the odd ding and a bit of genuine playing wear.[/quote]

TBH a few marks on a Thumb are barely noticable anyway because there's no finish to damage, and I can't see a single mark on yours from those photos. I hope you get your £800 because they're worth that and more, used prices on these are criminal right now. Especially when you hear what they sound like - that tune has some great moments where the sound of your Thumb comes right out. Nice playing and wow, amazing vocals.

Guilty secret time: For a while around the turn of the millenium I had a full-time job converting popular Bollywood themes to monophonic ringtones, basically ruining them in the process, but they sold like crazy. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='MB1' post='432263' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:20 AM']MB1. :)
Whereabouts are you in the U.K?/ Trades of interest?
BUMP![/quote]

I'm down in Bath. I can arrange couriers if somebody's miles away but I always prefer to meet people to make sure they're happy with basses when I'm selling.

I'm really hoping to replace this with a modern P-Bass style instrument, most likely a Lakland Skyline (Duck Dunn or similar) or a Sadowsky Metro.. you know the kind of thing. Not really interested in Jazz style (got that well covered) or anything flash - fancy wood, etc. I'm happy with just just plain and simple. Condition not too much of an issue either as long as it's reflected in the price, all I really care is that it plays and sounds good.

So if this sounds like you and you want to get into something completely different (and equally good!) let me know.

As another update, an interested buyer asked for a sound file sample of me playing it, so here's the link.

[url="http://people.bath.ac.uk/bj211/people.bath.ac.uk_files/sample.mp3"]http://people.bath.ac.uk/bj211/people.bath...iles/sample.mp3[/url]

It's just me messing around plugged direct, so what you're hearing is just the bass. I'm not a fan of new-new sounding strings so these aren't overly 'zingy'. What you've got is 1- both pickups 2- neck pickup 3-bridge pickup (1-3 all with tone controls set to 0), 4-5- with treble and bass boost. To be honest this is a pretty limited display of the range of sounds this bass can get - it's got the passive switch and a mid control + cut and boost on all frequencies. If I demo'ed them all we'd be here all day!

Ah.. just listened to that back... excuse the lame riffs it was far too early!!

Edited by vintage_ben

Trying generate a bit more interest here..... me playing the Warwick with with Clive Deamer (Robert Plant/Portishead). Great drummer. Track from Pina Kollars "Quick Look"

Edited by vintage_ben