Why become a member? ×

ARP Quartet - Vintage String Machine 1979 - As used by Massive Attack

Hey folks,

Well, i've had this thing sitting about for a while now. It is an old ARP Quartet, otherwise known as a Siel Orchestra made in 1979. These things were used by Massive Attack and 808 state (according to VSI)

Anyway, this one has seen better days. The ends will need replaced because the chip board got knackered in transit. One of the keys is cracked, on the surface, but still functions. A couple of the sliders aren't working (master volume and decay/release), despite that i've had sound come out of this thing, so it does work! - but you'll have to fix the slider in order for it to actually be properly playable/giggable. The other sliders and buttons are all functioning, if a bit sticky. Its not a great synth in all honesty and in this condition it certainly isn't worth much. The string sounds are lovely, but that is about it for my taste anyway.

I'll let it go for £40 picked up in Edinburgh. I might take the notion to repair it and maybe mod it here and there, would be quite a cool string machine.

Cheers for looking,
Jamie

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' post='424918' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:42 AM']Hey folks,

Well, i've had this thing sitting about for a while now. It is an old ARP Quartet, otherwise known as a Siel Orchestra made in 1979. These things were used by Massive Attack and 808 state (according to VSI)

Anyway, this one has seen better days. The ends will need replaced because the chip board got knackered in transit. One of the keys is cracked, on the surface, but still functions. A couple of the sliders aren't working (master volume and decay/release), despite that i've had sound come out of this thing, so it does work! - but you'll have to fix the slider in order for it to actually be properly playable/giggable. The other sliders and buttons are all functioning, if a bit sticky. Its not a great synth in all honesty and in this condition it certainly isn't worth much. The string sounds are lovely, but that is about it for my taste anyway.

I'll let it go for £40 picked up in Edinburgh. I might take the notion to repair it and maybe mod it here and there, would be quite a cool string machine.

Cheers for looking,
Jamie[/quote]

I'll def take it mate, I'm in newcastle, can drive up.
let me know.
Cheers,
Steven

I shall get pics up tomorrow. If the notion takes me to fix it, then i might do so. I guess all i'd really have to do would be fix it with a couple of sliders and make new ends for it after all - i'm just in dire need of some money right now, hence the impulsive sale so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='valvusmusicus' post='1224489' date='May 8 2011, 08:37 PM']Hi
Do you still have this for sale please

Regards

Paul[/quote]

This thread is almost two years old and the item has been confirmed as sold twice. I don't think you can get much more certain that it's not available?