Why become a member? ×

Slang

bluesparky

Right, i've been reading a few posts etc and people are often talking about sounds / cabs being Warm, Cold, Wolly, Bright and even Dark.
As this is a writing based forum, how would you actually describe these sounds as a couple of the descriptions aren't really making sense to me.
(bright is reasonably obvious to me 'cos my stereo has got a bright button!).
E.g. Honky is a word i assume is a mid heavy sound, and quite harsh?
Cheers.

As these are terms used in a subjective way (ie what sounds 'dark' to me might sound 'wooly' to someone else), here's my entirely personal take:

Woolly - sounds like a blanket's been thrown over the cab - not much brightness or attack. Low notes sound sort of like 'woof' rather than 'dooom'

Dark - Not much brightness or attack. Otherwise normal

Bright - top strings have a bit of a zing sound to them. Clicky sort of attack to the note. Lots of string squeak as you move your left hand around

Cold - Lower notes seem quieter, plenty of middle.

Warm - Lots of bottom, bit of top, less in the middle

I'd also like to add 'Planky', where it's all middle with minimal sustain. Sound of a P with dead strings through a clapped out Trace

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='425340' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:39 PM']Bright - top strings have a bit of a zing sound to them. Clicky sort of attack to the note. Lots of string squeak as you move your left hand around[/quote]

one man's bright is another man's clank !

[quote name='bluesparky' post='427130' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:56 PM']ok. cheers.
Right, i'm off to the bass gallery - i'm going to walk in and ask for 2 warm cabs please!
If only it worked like that..[/quote]

It doesn't - :)