Why become a member? ×

ABC Music Retail from the 1980’s , any memories ?

BritBass 2

1 minute ago, TrevorR said:

Must have been a bit before my time. Can’t ever recall a music shop in Staines itself…

Yeah, but I'm old, innit. T'was definitely there, but had a far dingier look than the clean, white, sterile photo of the area since. High brick walls made it a rather insalubrious place to wander, and in the dark, even frightening, with a tunnel through under the railway line back towards Staines centre. How things change, eh..? :friends:

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

. . . .  High brick walls made it a rather insalubrious place to wander, and in the dark, even frightening, with a tunnel through under the railway line back towards Staines centre. How things change, eh..?

Now rebranded as Staines on Thames!! That probably didn't change it much, though.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Yeah, but I'm old, innit. T'was definitely there, but had a far dingier look than the clean, white, sterile photo of the area since. High brick walls made it a rather insalubrious place to wander, and in the dark, even frightening, with a tunnel through under the railway line back towards Staines centre. How things change, eh..? :friends:

Staines is an odd place.  I'm an Egham kid, if that wasn't bad enough.  We'd only venture into Staines to go Adam's and Record Scene (an old record shop that went under the ball and chain when they were building the new ring road by the Iron Bridge).  I haven't been there in 25 years.  Depressing.  Like Bracknell.

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Now rebranded as Staines on Thames!! That probably didn't change it much, though.

Treachery, really, as there was less innuendo with simply 'Staines' (there are no stains on the Thames there...). The original name was fine, and had a history...

'... It later appears as Stanis (1167), Stanys (1428), Steynys and Staynys (1535), before the modern spelling "Staines" is first used in 1578. The name derives from the Old English stān, meaning "stone", and may refer to a Roman milestone on the London to Silchester road that survived into the early Anglo-Saxon period....'

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

Staines is an odd place...

Well, at least it wasn't Hounslow (pronounced 'Arnsler'...), but admittedly less posh than Kingston. My upbringing was Bedfont-based; this explains a lot. :$