Why become a member? ×

'81 Gibson RD Artist, £550 *SOLD*

Shaggy

This is Woolleydick’s old RD Artist, which has been my main stage weapon for the last year or so. With a change in band material I’m playing my Gordon Smith and fretless rather more, plus I’ve recently acquired another RD Artist in the sunburst finish that I’m a sucker for.

This is an ’81 model, in clear nitro finish natural maple which has aged to a nice pale honey tone all over. The woodwork, finish, Gibson-branded Schaller tuners, and 3-point bridge are original. As you can probably see the pick-ups are not; the original black series V humbuckers were replaced 2 owners ago with chrome EB-3 type units (Japanese made, Allparts supplied), and the original Moog preamp replaced by what I was informed is a Bartolini 2-band EQ one. The brass nut and generic Gibson truss-rod cover are also not original, and rear battery cover is missing (NOS ones available on t’bay). RD Artists have the classiest headstock on any bass ever I reckon, the Gibson logo and “flying note” inlay are real mother-of-pearl.

The controls are; vol / vol / treble boost-cut / bass boost-cut, p/u select (neck/both/bridge), with micro-switches for active/passive (wish every active bass had one!), and phase invert.

Quite simply there is nothing that looks like these basses, or sounds like this one. They are heavy – a big solid chunk of maple, but really ergonomic – if you play fingerstyle (as I mostly do) you can rest your palm on the upper body cut-out whilst doodling away on the strings; so comfortable. Set neck, body-through stringing, extra-long scale (34.5”), and dense maple body means it sustains for ever. Versatile: you can get the muscular EB-3 sound (think Jack Bruce, Jim Lea, Andy Fraser….) but with more punch and top end available, rather more Fender P. The preamp is very effective and hum free but I almost invariably use it passive – just such a rich, growly, ringing tone. I reckon the chrome p/ups look so much more right on an old Gibson too.

However, the mods have obviously devalued it as a collector’s bass, so I’d only be after what I paid for this; a firm £550 collected, shipping on top. I’m based in South Wales, fairly near Swansea, but drive over to Cambridge now and again to see family – next time Easter, if that’s near to anyone interested. :)

Edited by Shaggy

Thanks guys!
Forgot to mention-
- Unlike Thunderbirds these [b]don't [/b]suffer from neck dive; nicely balanced.
- construction and xtra long scale makes them ideal for drop-tuning malarky such as BEAD

• 3 weeks later...