Why become a member? ×

Rotosound 'covered' strings

crez5150

British manufacturer's first coated strings shipping from March 1st

British string manufacturer, Rotosound, will be shipping its first ever coated strings as of March 1st.

The string range, dubbed Nexus, will comprise seven sets initially for bass guitar, acoustic guitar and electric guitar.

The bass strings are black polymer coated set over a Type 52 wrap, which, the company tells us, have a high energy with rich mid-tones and offer an alternative to steels with high presence. The gauges available will be 40, 60, 80 and 100, and 45, 65, 85 and 105. A single Low B (130) will also be available for five string bass players.

The Nexus Acoustic sets are clear polymer coated wound, gold series plain strings with a phosphor bronze base that gives enriched highs and gentle mid-tones and come in three gauges: 10s, 11s and 12s.

Lastly, the new Nexus electric range is also black polymer coating over nickel alloy that add a lot of warmth compared to conventional nickel strings. There are two sets available here: 9s and 10s.

What's pricing like?

These will have to go a bit to come near Elixirs. I've tried a couple of others, DR Long Life (wooly), the D'Addario (?) ones, some cheapies from the US and none of them measured up to Elixir for long life.

If black polymer means the strings will look black instead of silver I hope they are not like the DR strings colour coated ones.
I've had a few sets of the Peacock Blue strings which look fantastic when you first put them on but after a week or so they look scabby & sh!t. They was very bright sounding strings & do keep their brightness for ages but they don't keep the G string for ages, it lasts about a month (that's from about an hour's playing each day) then snaps.

[quote name='Buzz' post='422884' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:22 AM']Type52 wrap? That's a bit cryptic isn't it?[/quote]

It's a specific alloy of steel... it relates to the proportion of nickel to iron. Something to do with 52% Nickel (not sure if that's as overall proportion or 52% of the amount of iron).

Vaguely interested if they're reasonably priced, but I'm not holding my breath. Slightly put off by the recent quality of RS66 sets, which I used for years but gave up on after a succession of dead A strings & arbitrarily snapping Gs.

They'll have to be a lot cheaper than Elixirs, as well as blacker.

Jon.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='423458' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:48 PM']do those coating really do anything
i thought string technology was about cores wraps and steel material..stainless or nickel coated
rotos must be losing out on their normal range to have to go boutique[/quote]

Depending how the coating is, yes it does stuff.

Elixir coat the entire string, effectivly sealing it from dirt/grease/chips etc... which mean it takes much longer for it to die, reports have them going on the months or even years with no noticable drop in sound, and the coating makes it smoother to play as well.

Other companies coat the just the winding, which ends up being roughly the same, just to a lesser degree.

I'm interested to be honest.

[quote name='Buzz' post='423466' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:55 PM']Depending how the coating is, yes it does stuff.

Elixir coat the entire string, effectivly sealing it from dirt/grease/chips etc... which mean it takes much longer for it to die, reports have them going on the months or even years with no noticable drop in sound, and the coating makes it smoother to play as well.

Other companies coat the just the winding, which ends up being roughly the same, just to a lesser degree.

I'm interested to be honest.[/quote]

i have used elixir and was completely happy with the intiial...deadness...which really seemed like a well played in string and kept that way for far longer than other non sealed strings
the point is that the sealing is not all that obvious to the eye...i thought colour coatings a bit twee...especially when the lights go down or everyone is looking at the singer