Why become a member? ×

ACG S-type Recurve 6

steve

After trying two harlots, a recurve and a skelf, and a chat with Alan at the Harrogate Bass Bash, I've paid the deposit for an ACG. The specs are

Recurve S-Type 6 string
35'' scale length
SB pup at the bridge, RFB pup at the neck
ACG 01 pre
Camphor top and back with a black accent stripe and a ash core
(possibly with black pore-filling on the edges)
pale moon ebony board
7 piece neck wenge/maple/wenge/flame sycamore

[attachment=21236:woods.jpg]

the fretboard blank we'll be using

[attachment=21237:fretboards4.jpg]

needless to say, I'm very excited about the whole thing, and it's going to be fascinating seeing the developments over the coming months

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='422236' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:51 AM']Great news Steve, glad to see that you went for one of Alan's creations and I'm sure you'll love both the bass and the whole creation experience.

Peter - who speaking to Alan in a couple of weeks about some ideas.[/quote]

I hope your conversation won't result in mine being delayed - I think production priority should be given to those who don't own an ACG yet :) :rolleyes:
Are your ideas in some way related to a post I saw about fretless Wals or is it to early to reveal?

[quote name='7string' post='422711' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:53 PM']Looks like it's going to be a stunning instrument. I do like the Recurve S-type shape.[/quote]

Yeah, I think so. I couldn't decide between standard Recurve, S-type or Skelf for a while, then Alan announced the new Gallus shape, which confused the issue even more until he pointed out it's not at the production stage yet. I'm really happy with my choice now though.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='steve' post='459112' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:39 AM']Here's the first pic from Alan of the neck blank. Check out the flame on the sycamore and the maple B)[/quote]

That looks like perfection. I think you should just stop right there and not bother with the rest of it.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='459133' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:10 AM']That looks like perfection. I think you should just stop right there and not bother with the rest of it.[/quote]

I wouldn't know where to stick my jack plug :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='459804' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:54 AM']That neck is going to look lovely Steve. My flamed maple is quite stunning.[/quote]

Stunning is definately the word Peter. What finish have you got on the neck, and is the back of the body flamed sycamore?

Indeed it is Steve. The finish is Alan's standard recommendation. I've forgotten the relative percentages. It worked really well with both my Harlots.

I don't think I've seen a better looking neck and the profiling that's Alan's speciality works really well.

Of course non of this would matter one iota if they didn't do their job as musical instruments well.

Which is why it's a brilliant bass.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

• 3 months later...

[quote name='deksawyer' post='549272' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:42 PM']Looks good.

Have you spoken to Alan about what kind of finish you're going to have applied?

D.[/quote]

Not got that far yet - I am considering having the grain for the swamp ash core grain filled with something dark to tie in with the veneer accent tho'.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='551533' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:30 AM']They really are superb instruments, I'm very jealous. Not sure whose it was now I got the chance to play at the Harrogate bash but it was so marvellous to play. Looking forward to seeing another masterpiece developing.[/quote]

Hi Al, if I remember right we were noodling around on Peters Harlot for quite a while. It really is a stunner!

[quote name='7string' post='551530' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:25 AM']Looks great.

The wait will be worth it. :)[/quote]
I'm sure it will. The hardest parts of the wait are not bombarding Alan with emails all the time, and not spending the cash on other stuff while the build is still in progress

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='551533' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:30 AM']They really are superb instruments, I'm very jealous. Not sure whose it was now I got the chance to play at the Harrogate bash but it was so marvellous to play. Looking forward to seeing another masterpiece developing.[/quote]

I was at the Harrogate bash too, I tried out four I think - two Harlots (one was Peters), a Recurve and a Skelf (both Alpha Daves). They were all fantastic basses. I'd already been in conversation with Alan and had a spec sorted out beforehand, after playing them I was convinced it was the right decision to have one built.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='deksawyer' post='649945' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:32 PM']I think we're going to be collecting our bases at almost the same time judging by our matching updates......looking good.

D.[/quote]

Yeah, it looks that way, altho' I'm waiting for my fingerboard to come back from having some inlays done, and Alan is also looking into fitting a piezo bridge and hexpander, so I'm not sure if that will set my eta back a bit

[quote name='7string' post='650257' date='Nov 9 2009, 11:35 PM']It just gets better from hereon in :)[/quote]

I know what you mean, it's starting to look more like a bass in progress instead of some nice bits of wood now