Why become a member? ×

pj pickup wiring problems

ahpook

i've replaced the precision pickup in my fender cowpoke with a wizard trad (great sounding pickup btw), and wired it all back together.

it sounds fine with the blend control at either the full at the neck (precision) or bridge (jazz), but with the blend at 50:50, the side of the precision pickup that covers the D and G strings sounds out of phase with the bridge pickup. the side covering the E and A is fine.

it's an active bass, but i've been over the pcb with a fine tooth comb and there's nowt amiss there.

any ideas ?

thanks for the advice folks...the phasing on the D-G side of the precision pickup wrt the jazz had spung to mind.

i wonder why this is a problem now when it wasn't before...the jazz pickup is the one that was originally in the bass.

isn't a precision pickup just a precision pickup ?

Yes I was puzzled by the fact that it was OK before the change over - any chance you can specify the make/model of the J pickup? P-bass pickups do vary in terms of how they are put together i.e. which half is north and which is south in magnetic polarity and whether clockwise or anti-clockwise winding, but it only really matters when mating them with another pickup. If the problem persists I'm sure the guy at Wizard will be interested enough to help out.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='422490' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:55 PM']a P pickup to just do that job only needs to buck itself
put another pup next to it...which isnt matched!!
and this could occur

i wouldnt reverse any wiring on the P[/quote]

edit

the p is ok...on its own...the j is ok on its own
on both the j is out of phase with one of the p splits
swap the j leads
and if now the problem is the E and A are out of phase
then the j is no matched...brilliant deduction...and may have to be replaced

iirc most P/J sets and J/J sets are matched for polarity and n/s etc...something i can say but dont fully understand

hope you get it sorted