Why become a member? ×

IRig2 volume issue.. alternatives?

Rusco

Hi,

I bought an iRig2 thinking it ticked the boxes for BandLab use and playing along with Spotify. I’m using a newish iPad and AmpliTube but I’ve found a couple of major flaws...

1. Volume is too quiet - I’ve tried various basses and cables and all the recommended app and iPad settings yet with every volume knob at max it’s still very quiet both through headphones and BandLab recordings.

2. iPad volume can’t differentiate between AmpliTube and Spotify so with the former being too quiet the later overpowers it.

So, has anyone had the same issue and found a volume fix?. I searched and found a few related topics but no solutions.

Alternatively, any recommendations for something similar that is portable, interfaces with an iPad and allows Spotify play along plus headphones?

Many thanks!

59 minutes ago, Rusco said:

Alternatively, any recommendations for something similar that is portable, interfaces with an iPad and allows Spotify play along plus headphones?

I've not used one myself but the current Basschat gadget du jour is https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/417800-yamaha-session-cake-headphone-amp-mixer-%C2%A3999/

Have you tried using GarageBand with the iRig? Just to see if it makes a difference? I used to use the older iRig HD with my old iPad and it worked fine, but better if going in to an amp sim on the ipad. GB has them, and there are plenty of others. 

My fav two are the GK one, and Jam up. This has Trace Elliot and Ashdown AMB sims as well as lots of others. Allows for independent gain control. 

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you mention Amplitube. So this is the iRig that uses the headphone jack? Personally I’d get something that uses the Lighting port (assuming yours has this,). They cost a bit more but will be much better both for noise and latency. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Just bought an iRig HD and I’m having the same problem. If you raise the gain/master on the amp sims to match Spotify levels, the instrument ends up distorting/clipping horribly. The fact that Spotify doesn’t have an independent volume control that can be turned down is the problem. In all honesty I’m considering returning the iRig as it appears a lot of users have experienced the same issue :(

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn’t get it set up any way I liked so I’ve ended up sending it back. Shame as in theory it ticked a lot of boxes. I’m now using a Zoom B3 USB’d to a Mac Air with BandLab and will need to have another think about Spotify..