Why become a member? ×

Almost spat the dummy last night and took up golf..

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Hamster' post='45541' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:59 PM']Heysham - that's your problem. I spent a fortnight in Heysham one Saturday evening :huh:

Hamster[/quote]

There used to be a guy on a show called The Comedians years ago, his name was Colin Crompton and he was from Morecambe. He used to say that they didn't bury the dead in Morecambe - they just propped 'em up in bush shelters with bingo cards in their hands. I think all buses in Morecambe terminate at this pub. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='45506' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:15 PM']Have you noticed that sound limiters are now set for bass rather than vocals or guitar - used to be we could play pretty loud but the guitarist couldn't .. seems they have worked out that bass travels through buildings more than lead or vox...[/quote]Ahh yes, the Prom on Gloucester Road... the 'sound'guy there is almost phobic about bass. "Hey, you'll have to turn the bass down... I can hear it." God I hate playing that place. There's usually a good crowd, but I'm sick and tired of not hearing a single note I play all night. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='45580' date='Aug 15 2007, 07:26 AM']Ahh yes, the Prom on Gloucester Road... the 'sound'guy there is almost phobic about bass. "Hey, you'll have to turn the bass down... I can hear it." God I hate playing that place. There's usually a good crowd, but I'm sick and tired of not hearing a single note I play all night. :)[/quote]

Yeah well .. great place but I used to live about 80 yards away from the front door as the crow flies and I know why he insists on that.
No bass means no complaints means the licence carries on ...

Mind you the footie pub across the road is often louder ... Hummm seems we have strayed ...

[quote name='Toasted' post='45671' date='Aug 15 2007, 11:12 AM']Surely power flicking on and off is dangerous for all your equipment?

I've got some pretty sensitive stuff and I'm not sure that I'd want to connect it up to a socket that will radomly switch on and off. Is there anything I can do to protect my gear?[/quote]
Generator outside the pub with long lead through the window to your multi socket.

[quote name='Toasted' post='45671' date='Aug 15 2007, 11:12 AM']Surely power flicking on and off is dangerous for all your equipment?

I've got some pretty sensitive stuff and I'm not sure that I'd want to connect it up to a socket that will radomly switch on and off. Is there anything I can do to protect my gear?[/quote]

Ha ha wellllll that's the idea - the noise limiter is there to, er limit the noise .. Usually because the venue is under threat of closure due to p1551ng off the neighbours with too much noise (ie the venue is unable to control the bands or sound people enough by just asking them nicely to keep it down)

So there are two things you can do to protect your gear from the electronic abuse:
1 don't play venues that have noise limiters
2 play quietly

(or run an extension to another power source)

[quote name='OldGit' post='45712' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:18 PM']So there are two things you can do to protect your gear from the electronic abuse:
1 don't play venues that have noise limiters
2 play quietly

(or run an extension to another power source)[/quote]

buy a decent sized "On-Line" UPS... run [i][b][u]your[/u][/b][/i] gear off it... don't let the guitars use it... when the limiter trips, there's just you and the un-miked drums left going and maybe the plaintive warblings of the vocalist...

The UPS should give you enough time to get the power restored or else switch off gracefully. If everybody was running off it, then you wouldn't actually know the limiter had tripped unless you looked down to see the alarm on the UPS or the UPS finally ran out of battery power...

I hate that ,arrive at a gig and see that yellow ball on the ceiling in front of the stage!

One gig i did had taped all sorts of sh*t over it ,foam,newspapers,tinfoil it was the size of a 15 inch speaker !

We used to trip them all night for badness, punters used to complain to the management saying they weren't coming back!