Why become a member? ×

Small Badass problem

waynepunkdude

I've just installed a Badass II on my MIM Jazz and I must say I'm as pleased as punch with it (except the action is all over the place due to me forgetting to bring my allen keys home) but I get a strange rattle when I play the D sting aggresivly.

It happens when I fret so it must be something at the bridge end, any ideas?

While we are there does the string spacing look OK as I had 2 grooves on each saddle to choose from and I think I got it right.

The 2 grub screws (allen adjusted) in each string saddle - I'm guessing one of them isn't making good contact with the base plate.

When you come to adjust them - rob your good lady's nail varnish and stick some on the threads. It won't set too hard (which loctite can) and will stop the screws turning because of vibration.

Also poss the spring could be loose though I doubt it as looking at the pic the saddles aren't partic. well forward which obviously would slacken the spring.

Thinks.........
Is it pre-used ?? If so the spring could have corroded a little and stays compressed when the saddle's moved forward - that would make it rattle.

Finally - outside chance - something else could be loose and the frequency of a resonating D string could be vibrating it.
Except you said it's the same when you fret it so I'm talking bollocks.

Edited by Dr.Dave

What Dr.Dave said, make sure the saddles are level via the grub screws. You'll know if they're not because one side will turn really easily and the other, which has the pressure from the string on, will be harder to raise.

You could always file a really small bit out just so it's makes better contact as well.

And if you havn't intonated it like you say, it could be that the screw is a bit loose, try giving that a small turn as well.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='417853' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:01 PM']I've just installed a Badass II on my MIM Jazz and I must say I'm as pleased as punch with it (except the action is all over the place due to me forgetting to bring my allen keys home) but I get a strange rattle when I play the D sting aggresivly.

It happens when I fret so it must be something at the bridge end, any ideas?

While we are there does the string spacing look OK as I had 2 grooves on each saddle to choose from and I think I got it right.[/quote]

hi wayne...

click that G string out a bit
the grooves i cut for the jazz were the two outermost ones to get the best fit

as for the actionl...the only other thing besides an allen key to get those saddles up may be the end of a pair of small scissors

and a tip...slacken off the strings so you arent fighting tension while you are doing it

hope that helps
cheers
geof

hi wayne...found those early shots buried deeeeeeeeeeeeeep in my archive hard drive...harchivedrive

1 here is the badass you have on my special P/J
2 you can see the grooves i used for the strings in the close up and the way that laid across the poles in the other shot

cheers
geof

[url="http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badassiispacing.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badassiispacing2.jpg"][/url]

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='425458' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:32 PM']Slowly , slowly - quarter turn at a time. Do not be afraid!![/quote]

You really are helping me today Dave :)

I'll do it tomorrow night, I don't have the right size allen key here.

I would need to tighten it to straighten it right?

From the Spector bass owners manual....

[quote]Truss rods can be tightened. Most things in life that can be tightened, can be tightened too far! When that happens there is usually an accompanying sound and ensuing pain in the stomach. When in doubt, seek professional advice. An ounce of prevention and all that.[/quote]

From what you say, it sounds like you might need a shim at the neck end of the neck pocket. Try a search for shim on here - someone has linked to some very handy diagrams but I can't find them right now...

EDIT: Yer tiz. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=18034&view=findpost&p=184507"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=184507[/url] Maybe the bridge end then? Who the f*** am I, Quincy?

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='425472' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:47 PM']I'm starting to think this bass isn't very good :)[/quote]

Any bass can be sorted... it just takes a bit of understanding the physics of it... and how you want it to play. As for the shim thing, I find that alot of stock Jazzes I have to shim the hell out of them to get the neck to where I want it to be. My Lakland and Cairnes bass are shimmed quite substantially... the result? A really, really low action... just like I like.

In a lot of cases, you can get the neck and action to be where you want them to be... but then you get fret buzz. If this is occuring on a few notes but not the whole neck, this is where you have to do some fret dressing. Alot of mass manufactured basses just have the frets hammered in... and deviation in fret height, especially when trying to get a low action, is going to cause you issues. If in doubt, get it down to a bass doctor to get it fret dressed properly. If your frets have never been dressed, chances are, they will need it.

Good luck, you can get there!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='425456' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:30 PM']All done , sounds great.

The reason the action is really all over the place is that my neck has a curve in the middle so I have a close action at both end but a high action in the middle so I'm going to have to tighten the truss rod, never done it on this bass before I'm bit nervous.[/quote]

it isnt too hard to do but as dave says...a little bit at a time...i usually slacken the strings off when i tighten the truss rod so i am not working against tension
do a 1/4 turn clockwise looking down the neck if your adjuster is at the head...and clockwise looking up the neck if it is at the body end
re tension to pitch and check the bow
do all again if its a still a bit big in the centre
fret the first fret...capo
and hold down the 17th...or where the neck bolts to the body...and check the gap at the 9th...usual idea is that a calling card will slide under
after this set the action on each string
and then intonation...that should be ok since the strings are already played in and not new
be patient and go slowly
your bass is fine!!!

Edited by mrcrow