Why become a member? ×

String choice question.

Maude

I've got a choice of three different sets of strings strings to put on a bass, I have the strings here and don't want to buy any more. Now my string of choice is D'addario half rounds and I don't like floppy strings, the stiffer the better for me, but I want to put rounds on this bass for a brighter, growlier sound. So I would like to know who's used the following strings and which are perceived to be the stiffest, assuming they're the same gauge? 

The strings are 

D'Addario exl165 (45-105)

DR Hi-Beams (45-105)

Unknown but I think Rotos, red, white, blue & red balls with red silks at the tuner end. Very grey looking string compared to both the other two, but not old. 

I know I could try them all but that's a pain, so any ideas folks? 

🙂

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'd avoid Roto's, lifeless strings. You may want to also look at Warwick black label nickel rounds, as smooth at DRs, but cheaper. 😀

I don't want to go buying any strings, I have those three sets in my above post at home. Just wanted to fit whichever set would feel the stiffest. 

Also, I'm assuming the Hi-beams will be the brightest sounding being steels, just whether they're floppier than the D'addarios as I really don't like anything floppier than them. 

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I don't want to go buying any strings, I have those three sets in my above post at home. Just wanted to fit whichever set would feel the stiffest. 

Also, I'm assuming the Hi-beams will be the brightest sounding being steels, just whether they're floppier than the D'addarios as I really don't like anything floppier than them. 

The DRs and the D'Addario are fairly similar in tension, the Roto's will be of higher tension than the other two.

4 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The DRs and the D'Addario are fairly similar in tension, the Roto's will be of higher tension than the other two.

Ha ha, well that's me done for then 😄

Tension wise, the Roto's would be my best bet then. What is it you don't like about them? 

The Roto's I have are used, albeit fairly new, they were on a bass I bought but the owner had only just fitted them so I kept them when I put half rounds on. I might just try them and see what they're like as they're used anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

What is it you don't like about them?

Lifeless. Having said that some strings just sound better on different basses. I've put strings which sounded dull and uninspiring from one P bass onto another one, only for them to have bite and sound really punchy. I don't understand the science behind it, but sometimes certain strings (similarly with pickups) just work with certain basses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Lifeless. Having said that some strings just sound better on different basses. I've put strings which sounded dull and uninspiring from one P bass onto another one, only for them to have bite and sound really punchy. I don't understand the science behind it, but sometimes certain strings (similarly with pickups) just work with certain basses.

Thanks for your input, I'll try the Roto's as they already used and see what they're like. If they're dull I'll probably just stick with the D'addarios and save the DRs for something else. 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maude said:

I've got a choice of three different sets of strings strings to put on a bass, I have the strings here and don't want to buy any more. Now my string of choice is D'addario half rounds and I don't like floppy strings, the stiffer the better for me, but I want to put rounds on this bass for a brighter, growlier sound. So I would like to know who's used the following strings and which are perceived to be the stiffest, assuming they're the same gauge? 

The strings are 

D'Addario exl165 (45-105)

DR Hi-Beams (45-105)

Unknown but I think Rotos, red, white, blue & red balls with red silks at the tuner end. Very grey looking string compared to both the other two, but not old. 

I know I could try them all but that's a pain, so any ideas folks? 

🙂

Of those, Hi Beams will be the stiffest.

edit: if you like halfrounds, maybe try Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats?

They're stiff, smooth (of course), but a lot brighter than any other flats (and indeed halfrounds, in my experience). They're more like mellow roundwounds, in sound. It sounds like you'd like their sound and feel.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

edit: if you like halfrounds, maybe try Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats?

They're stiff, smooth (of course), but a lot brighter than any other flats (and indeed halfrounds, in my experience). They're more like mellow roundwounds, in sound. It sounds like you'd like their sound and feel.

+1 to all of this. Spot on.

• Like 1