Why become a member? ×

Flangers and phasers?

agoulding

After pissing around with some effects on my pod, coming across the flangers and phasers intrigued me a bit. This is because, I can't recall hearing any of these effects in bands i listen to and i would really like to know how you think you should use them - in a piece of music? or, why you use them in songs.

Give me some ideas. ;)

Alex

Edited by agoulding

worth checking out "highrise" by hawkwind, love the use on it
cheers
stuart

[quote name='agoulding' post='416921' date='Feb 22 2009, 08:57 PM']After pissing around with some effects on my pod, coming across the flangers and phasers intrigued me a bit. This is because, I can't recall hearing any of these effects in bands i listen to and i would really like to know how you think you should use them - in a piece of music? or, why you use them in songs.

Give me some ideas. ;)

Alex[/quote]

Edited by moonwarriors

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='417020' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:54 PM']the intro, and most of forty six and 2 has a flangery/phasery/chorus/general shimmery effect

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A[/url][/quote]

Aye, tis a great example of a Boss BF-2 Flanger right there! Perhaps he uses his CE-5 Chorus Ensemble as well, no body really knows for sure. There's definitely flanger in there though.

Tons of 80's goth stuff.

If you take a chorus and really pile on the delay you get well into flange territory, the Cure did this a bit, I'm pretty sure there was some of this on some Joy Division stuff too IIRC, but anyways, its good in small doses. Same the other way around a very subtle flange is effectively a chorus

Phaser sounds 'kin massive if you use a boss Heavy Metal distortion before it, best with very legato stuff so you can clearly hear the sweep. Utterly exceptional with tapped chordal stuff...