Why become a member? ×

Final flatting and polishing a refinish

dickandjill

I have just finished spraying my (previously refinished)1976 ash fender mustang bass with clear and tinted lacquers and its come out very nicely.
I am now waiting for it to harden of before flatting and polishing.
I intend leaving it for 3 weeks and then using wet and dry grades 600# 800# 1000# 1200# 1500# and 2000#
Then Rubbing compound.
My question is what sort of wax should I use to polish it?
I was going to use beeswax furniture polish but I recieved the following reply on a previous post

Quote: "use a glaze to finish. Using a wax or polish at the last stage traps the natural gassing process and could cloud your finish. Some say wait 90 days before using a wax or polish"

So will wax be ok to use? What is glaze?
And more importantly what do you recommend me to use? Can car polish be used?

Also do I NEED to wet and dry it could I just use the rubbing compound?

Thanks a lot
Richard

Edited by dickandjill

Hi
Its had 1 tin of clear satin nitrocellulose, 1 tin of light tint gloss nitro and 1 tin of clear gloss nitro. Which was about 4 or 5 coats of each.
Theres very little orange peel at all with front and back nice and glossy just a little overspray on some of the edges

Edited by dickandjill

[quote name='dickandjill' post='413476' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:52 PM']Also do I NEED to wet and dry it could I just use the rubbing compound?[/quote]

You could just use rubbing compound, but you'll be there a long time. Wet and dry is quicker, but by the same token it's much easier to sand through, so be careful.