Why become a member? ×

Eminence Delta 10b

fleabag

In Audacity, towards the right of the tool bar, there are tools to stretch out the recording in time. Using those, you can expand the view until you can see individual cycles. I can see no sign of crossover distortion.

You do have some warbling harmonics - the lighter coloured parts of the trace - but I have no idea if that is normal for a plucked string.

David

On 17/04/2020 at 18:12, fleabag said:

Recording - just using open E.  Bass EQ rolled off completely.  Sounds like i;m really attacking the string but it was just a normal bedroom level pluck

Voice 001.mp3 179.04 kB · 12 downloads

check that there are no air leaks in the cab. I had a cab that made a similar noise and it was air leaking out through the jack socket.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

In Audacity, the stretch facility is on the toolbar above 10-11 seconds of the recording. The magnifier with the '+' sign will stretch the whole recording, and the buttons to its right will expand a defined section of the recording.

David 

I'll  check that - thanks

Keep zooming until you have only 2-3 cycles in view. Then increase the gain if you need to. I cannot see any crossover distortion on this trace.

You've tried this amp with two cabs, and got the same result - just to rule out other possibilities, have you tried it with another bass,  just in case it is a faulty string, or a string rattling in the nut or a fading battery or something similar?

David

On 17/04/2020 at 20:51, Stub Mandrel said:

Crossover distortion is if the amplifier isn't set for enough bias current, so when the signal 'crosses over' from negative to positive there's a brief moment where the signal is cut off. It tends to be more noticeable with softer signals as it doesn't increase with volume.

Basically the half of the amp that does the top of the signal is switching off before the half that does the bottom switches on.

crossover-distortion.gif

If yours in is a linear class B amplifier (rather than a class D) there's a biasing arrangement in there to prevent it happening. This can go wrong. Sometimes its as simple as adjusting a preset to get the right 'quiescent current' or it could be a diode or transistor needs replacing.

The most common cause is when a transistor is used to set the bias current and kept at the same temperature as the power transistors by being held against the same heatsink. If it comes lose you get crossover distortion that gets worse as the amp warms up.

Easy to spot if you have a scope (see picture above) but needs a bit of amp repair experience to fix.

Looking at your stretched waveform, and comparing it with Stub Mandrel's, I'm not seeing any cross-over distortion, so I'm starting to think about other things it might be. Since the amp has FX out and in jack sockets, have you got anything that will allow you to listen to the preamp output (FX send) or play into the Amp input (FX return)?

If you turn down the volume of an active bass, switch off the amp power, connect the bass to the FX return socket, power up and then slowly raise the volume on the bass you should get enough signal to tell whether you still have a problem. If so, then you know it is not the preamp. If you have a mixer or another amp of any description, you can plug your FX send into it and check whether the distortion is being produced in the preamp.

Totally off the wall, you could send Ashdown a PM, point them at this thread, and ask them what might be causing the problem, and whether it is DIY fixable. When I had a problem, they satisfied themselves that I was competent, and then sent me a replacement PCB "If it fixes the problem, send the faulty one back, and pay us: or if it doesn't, send the whole amp and new PCB back and pay us to fix it for you."

David

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

now i have an amp head winging its way to me from Thomann, 

So it was all a ploy...

Just for comparison:

My A string, neck pickup, tone rolled back:

image.thumb.png.170ce94048961fec6fc020fa15272a6d.png

D string, bridge pickup, tone on:

image.png.5b5906879097b23ee018b1e26edcf7a7.png

Both of my signals look 'smoother'; than yours:

audacity zoom 2.jpg

• Like 1

Just tried again,  and now the graph will not work.  I know the mic is working because i shouted some obscenities into it and the meter is working fine, jumping up and down to some choice words, but the graph on the scope is not even registering.

Screen shot of me swearing into the mic, which has peaked   :)

And screenshot of whats happening on the scope...

mic.jpg

graph.jpg

Edited by fleabag

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

On mine,  that scope made my  peaks look square on open E

Probably getting clipped, mine does that I had to move the mic back.

42 minutes ago, fleabag said:

And screenshot of whats happening on the scope...

When you go to the page a popup should appear asking for permission to access the mic, if you miss it and don't click yess it won't work.

• Like 1

Ok - fired up the scope again, though i couldnt get the  combo and mic seperated enough to stop that funny squaring off on the peaks, even with the mic level on about number 2 or 3 and the combo 2 metres from the mic

Took 4 screenshots at various points - just looks like gobbledygook to me :)

graph1.jpg

graph2.jpg

graph3.jpg

graph4.jpg

Well compared to my traces it does like like you have a lot of high frequency noise but I think that could be the mic/computer.

On the other hand the middle traces look a bit 'flat topped' on the higher peaks which would sound like the mild distortion/odd harmonics effect you are getting. So this could be the issue.

As only on half a cycle, this could be an offset bias, a failing power supply capacitor or another component on the way out. Next step get someone to take a proper look.

Ah well at least we've had some fun....

• Like 1