Why become a member? ×

A day in the Studio

lowdown

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='432574' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:53 PM']Solid advice I guess but once again skips the most important factor - getting the gig in the first place is a combination of luck and knowing the right people, NOT hard work or application![/quote]

Never underestimate the importance of sounding generic.

That dude saying he wants players who have something unique is funny, immediately followed by a classic "LA Session"-sounding track.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='432574' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:53 PM']getting the gig in the first place is a combination of luck and knowing the right people, NOT hard work or application![/quote]

If you have not done the [i]hard work and application[/i],
And turn up for an audition [ where you meet people ]
Or turn up at a Jam [ to meet people, who in turn introduce you to more people ]
You might end up sounding like a lemon... :)
I get the feeling it might go hand in hand.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='432589' date='Mar 12 2009, 04:14 PM']immediately followed by a classic "LA Session"-sounding track.[/quote]

LA studio players,
LA studio,
LA Producers.
Strange how it sounded like a Classic LA session sounding track.
Well spotted... :)

Garry

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='432574' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:53 PM']Solid advice I guess but once again skips the most important factor - getting the gig in the first place is a combination of luck and knowing the right people, NOT hard work or application![/quote]

this might be the case.

you may be happy where you our now in a musical sense just as much as nathan east is.

you dont have to achieve what he has, to be "successfull"

[quote name='agoulding' post='432937' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:58 PM']this might be the case.

you may be happy where you our now in a musical sense just as much as nathan east is.

you dont have to achieve what he has, to be "successfull"[/quote]

Never said or implied I did? It's just the phrasing of the interview in that video - "the difference between an A list player and a B list player is X, Y and Z" etc.

The fact is the difference between being "B-list" and "A-list" is nothing to do with having chops or talent, it's about getting the chance to show that talent off which is pure luck. You need chops to get to the upper echelon of session players sure, but who's to say you'll ever get the chance to demonstrate your ability unless you've scratched the right backs?

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='433006' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:06 PM']but who's to say you'll ever get the chance to demonstrate your ability unless you've scratched the right backs?[/quote]

Its called business.
And its a fact of life.
As it happens, i can not imagine the likes of
Greg Phillinganes
Nathan East
Paulinho Da Costa , need to scratch any ones back. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I never underestimate the skills of a gifted studio-musician. Those amongst us who have done studio-work know how challenging and difficult it is. Playing along to a cd might be easy but coming up with a good bassline, have good timing and the ability to play different styles while the clock is ticking...it is tough for a lot of musicians.
I found out for myself that I was able to play adventurous and free within the safety of my living room but as soon as the studiolight said "record" I started playing safe clichés..A bit impressed by the click in my headphones. Being a studiomusician isn't a task for everyone..
I can be a bit annoyed by the fact that around here in Belgian all the recordings on a commercial level are all done by the same two or three bassplayers and three guitarplayers but I have to admit that they do a great job and I wouldn't be able to do what they do.
There isn't too much adverture of experiment in these recordings but that is all up to the producers...Not to many people take the time or the risk to have something special in the basspart while marketing and niches are what it's all about...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='432589' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:14 PM']Never underestimate the importance of sounding generic.

That dude saying he wants players who have something unique is funny, immediately followed by a classic "LA Session"-sounding track.[/quote]So true.

Nathan East is the epitome of "sounding generic" to me. He always makes me wonder how a talented musician of his caliber can sound so uninspiring.