Why become a member? ×

Sub bass cab

Pookus

My current rig is an Ashdown ABM900 and 8x10 cab. I run the 810 from one of the channels from the ABM900 - which means I have another channel spare. There are two ways I can go 1) drive the sub bass cab from the other channel possibly with a crossover or 2) get a powered sub and take the signal from the sub out. Ideally I don't want to spend much and also am capable of building my own cabs. Please help me make up my mind!

[quote name='Pookus' post='410410' date='Feb 15 2009, 03:34 PM']My current rig is an Ashdown ABM900 and 8x10 cab. I run the 810 from one of the channels from the ABM900 - which means I have another channel spare. There are two ways I can go 1) drive the sub bass cab from the other channel possibly with a crossover or 2) get a powered sub and take the signal from the sub out. Ideally I don't want to spend much and also am capable of building my own cabs. Please help me make up my mind![/quote]
For a sub to have significantly better LF performance than your 8x10 it would have to be twice as large. There's no getting around that fact. OTOH if you do build/buy a true sub you won't need an 8x10 to handle the mids and highs, a 2x10 would be plenty. In short, if you can't get the lows you want from an 8x10 it's time to rethink the entire system from the ground up.

Do you have a separate volume control for the second channel? If not you're going to struggle to get a any sub that can be heard over the 8x10". Two 3015LFs in an 8x10" sized ported cab will blow down walls even with relatively little power but in most situations if you already have an 8x10" then bridging your amp (if you can) and turning up the bass knob a bit will have a similar result.

Alex

If you get a CAB with a built in corss-over then you can hook that upto the 8x10 and push more power through that rig. For ideas you can look at the ashdown MAG 1x15 great for low end and should work nicely with the ABM900, or you can look at picking up a 2x10 to slide in under neath and give you that extra clarity! but thats just my two pence worth!!

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='411152' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:47 PM']If you get a CAB with a built in corss-over then you can hook that upto the 8x10 and push more power through that rig. For ideas you can look at the ashdown MAG 1x15 great for low end and should work nicely with the ABM900, or you can look at picking up a 2x10 to slide in under neath and give you that extra clarity! but thats just my two pence worth!![/quote]
What a great idea. Adding a cheap and nasty cab to what is probably a top of the range rig. Sell the 8x10 and run 2 4x10 cabs.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='411212' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:31 PM']What a great idea. Adding a cheap and nasty cab to what is probably a top of the range rig. Sell the 8x10 and run 2 4x10 cabs.[/quote]

Cheap and nasty? how can you compare Ashdown to hartke or trace? I mentioned the Ashdown cabs due to the fact that the guy uses an ashdown head and Ashdown heads are not well known for their hybrid features.

And as for selling the 8x10 to get a 2 4x10's the ABM won't be able to match the power he already has in fact he will probably loose power and clarity doing that or just stay the same. True the 2 4x10's will allow more flexibility for manoeuvrability but then you have to think to yourself what is more important? the fact that you can carry your CABs easily or improving your sound to your own needs?

like I stated that was just my view on the situation and is this.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='411212' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:31 PM']Sell the 8x10 and run 2 4x10 cabs.[/quote]

Another option would be to rewire the 8x10" to give two separate loads but that depends on the impedance of the speakers within it.

Alex

P.S. A Mag 15 under an 8x10" has less chance of being heard than a mouse at an elephant symposium.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='411230' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:49 PM']Another option would be to rewire the 8x10" to give two separate loads but that depends on the impedance of the speakers within it.

Alex

P.S. A Mag 15 under an 8x10" has less chance of being heard than a mouse at an elephant symposium.[/quote]

why?

The sub 15 concetrates on more on the lower end of the projection, it will add an extra growl to the sound, true maybe not a great deal but I might be just what the guy is needing from his sound!

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='411227' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:45 PM']Cheap and nasty? how can you compare Ashdown to hartke or trace? I mentioned the Ashdown cabs due to the fact that the guy uses an ashdown head and Ashdown heads are not well known for their hybrid features.

And as for selling the 8x10 to get a 2 4x10's the ABM won't be able to match the power he already has in fact he will probably loose power and clarity doing that or just stay the same. True the 2 4x10's will allow more flexibility for manoeuvrability but then you have to think to yourself what is more important? the fact that you can carry your CABs easily or improving your sound to your own needs?

like I stated that was just my view on the situation and is this.[/quote]

Actually I think you probably mentioned the Ashdown MAG cabs cos you're selling some ;)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='411245' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:00 PM']Actually I think you probably mentioned the Ashdown MAG cabs cos you're selling some ;)[/quote]

haha i'm not that good a salesman!

I have had good experiences with the MAG's even if they are 'cheap' to some people. But as I keep on saying its just my opinion!

[quote name='Pookus' post='411461' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:27 PM']I am genuinely looking at some way of producing more lower frequencies. ;)[/quote]

If you build a dual 3015LF cab (as big as your 8x10") and power it with a ~1000W+ power amp then you'll get more output from 40-60Hz. If you want to go lower then the new Precision Devices neo 21" will go seriously low and still loud - again this requires another 8x10" sized cab and even more power, think 2000W+.

Realistically the only way to go lower and still be loud and manageable you need to replace the entire rig with something that is aimed at going low.

Alex

This all makes me think "why?"

If you play big gigs then you'll have PA support and the sound man won't thank you for having such a loud rig fighting with, and probably degrading the overall sound.

If you're playing without PA then how much use of such a rig will you make whilst achieving a good band sound?

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='411239' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:55 AM']why?

The sub 15 concetrates on more on the lower end of the projection[/quote]-1. The main limiting factor to low frequency output isn't driver size, it's cabinet size. A small 1x15 won't improve low end output in this case. It would be as effective as adding a pair of oars to a motorboat in hopes of going faster.

[quote name='thinman' post='411485' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:55 PM']This all makes me think "why?"

If you play big gigs then you'll have PA support and the sound man won't thank you for having such a loud rig fighting with, and probably degrading the overall sound.

If you're playing without PA then how much use of such a rig will you make whilst achieving a good band sound?[/quote]

Good point. Though its not just about volume, but tone and presence. I like to have a good sound on stage as well as out front. Often the foldback just doesn't cut it. After all, the amp has the capability of driving another 4ohm cab so why not?

dude, any more LF than you get with a 8x10 and you'll be blowing away 99% of PAs in the country!

of course, you could go out and buy one of [url="http://www.meyersound.com/products/mseries/m3d-sub/"]these[/url]

they're not cheap, but they've got built-in amps so you could run it off your line out, then use the spare output for another 8x10 to do your mid/high.

I've played with this cab before, great tone and the bass is just unbelievable...

Edited by MananaMan