Why become a member? ×

Like Motown ???

KennysFord

We did the Motown Museum last year. It was absolutely awesome (for a Motown nut like me anyhow). The nice thing is that the recording studio, sound room and techy stuff if pretty much still intact. Original wood floor, wall panelling etc. The smell of the place is unique as well. All those years of smoking various stuff, sweat and everything else that went into the melting pot. The other thing that is no immediately obvious until you go there is the size of the studio, it's actually quite small and how they crammed all of the artistes into there for a session and mic'd it all up must have been an art in itself. The early recordings were made on a three track recorder if I'm not mistaken. During Motown's time in Detroit Berry Gordy had taken over half of the street as quite a few of the surrounding houses were used for marketing, advertising and the school of etiquette. All of these buildings have now been sold on.

Unfortunately, apart from the Museum there is not too much left in Detroit relating to the Motown years. The 20 Grand Club had been demolished some years ago. One minor disappointment for me was that they don't allow cameras to be used in the building, but that seems to be the norm for most of the exhibitions over there.

Molan, if you are planning to get over there make sure you put Memphis on your list of places to visit. It's a muso's paradise. You've got Stax, Sun Studios, Gibson factory, Gracelands, Beale Street, BB Kings, the list is endless.

[quote name='whizzzy' post='416509' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:01 AM']Molan, if you are planning to get over there make sure you put Memphis on your list of places to visit. It's a muso's paradise. You've got Stax, Sun Studios, Gibson factory, Gracelands, Beale Street, BB Kings, the list is endless.[/quote]

We have that planned for a 2nd trip ;)

Fly into Atlanta, over to Memphis, then to Nashville, up through the Blue Ridge mountains, across to the coast, down through Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Savannah back across to Macon for the rock hall of fame & home via Atlanta :P

Gonna take about 3 weeks though!

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='416021' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:43 AM']....Saw the documentary about the '64 UK Tour, was absolutely amazed that it was so poorly attended, considering the talent that was on the bill....[/quote]
Motown, the songs and the artists are highly regarded now, but back then it was just pop music. It was what filled up Radio 1 air time between Tony Blackburn jokes!

I've attended Motown-tribute band gig yesterday ;)

Their permanent bassist was gigging in London (!) last weekend with his jazzband, [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=162677805"]D'Orange[/url], and his flight-back was delayed, so tribute-band took a substitution for him..

I was quite dissappointed about not seeing my idol, but, then again, substitution was good anyway - the guy was plucking 6-string Pedulla, which sounded (especially it's B string) awesome.

In general, gig was good, but few band-members were letting it down due to their apathy to the groove and music - you could tell it from their faces..

nevertheless, I've found a few new Motown songs, that I didn't know before, and they were so groovy..

So, can anyone tell me tell [i]full [/i]names of Motown songs that start with word [b]Sunshine[/b]? :P

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='410544' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:23 PM']Why? i've tried watching it, but couldn't be arsed, don't know if I ended up somewhere in the middle of it...

But I'll try it for second time, as I'm going to see Motown tribute band next weekend... ;)

I'll get my coat now.[/quote]
Watch this 6 times instead of thinking about the tribute band! :P
It's not a techno-fest, but groove, groove, groove!